One biodieseler's experience

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

pump seals

Post by Fatmobile »

Is your leak around the control lever (lever the accel cable connects to)?
On top of the pump?
That's just an o-ring and you wouldn't have to remove the injection pump to do that one.
You should get a seal kit because you'll have to pull the top of the pump and there is another odd shaped seal that could be replaced while your in there.
See if you can find a local bosch shop:
http://www.boschservice.com/public/serv ... otive.html
shaskill

Biodiesel: Injector Pump Seal Gone

Post by shaskill »

The leak is at the back of the pump (towards the firewall). Local mechanics refuse to work on injector pumps so I must or else wreck it. Too bad as it never ran so well as on the mix.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

cold start lever

Post by Fatmobile »

Sounds like it's the cold start lever.
I've been wondering if this 0-ring could be replaced with the injection pump on the car.
Tim Lindley
Glow Plug

Shaft seal

Post by Tim Lindley »

that is the one... you will notice fuel comming right out under the throttle shaft... this seal is a comon replacement after 200k on any VW diesel.

it is a pritty close to a 1/4 oring... i found a ruber replacement for my 82 jetta diesel when i was in highschool.

that was a good running diesel... to bad the car unsafe to be driven on the road otherwize.... when you hit the railroad you could get major air...
then later i was changin a tire and realized that the strut was not attached to the strut mount... i kept jackin up the car and the wheel never left the ground.. scarry.

ahh good times.

good luck with the shaft seal... it was about a 2 hour job for a highschool kid in feburary in Michigan.... you can do it by removing the top of the injection pump.

DONT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF REMOVING THE PUMP IT WAS NOT DIFICULT TO DO THE JOB WITHOUT REMOVING THE PUMP.

the seal is in the top part of the pump... when you take the top off you can rebuild the top .. and then just put it back on the pump... seems like there was a part in there that was spring loaded... PAY ATTENTION TO HOW IT CAME OUT

I wouldent hesitate to do the job again... almost as much fun as VW drum breaks :-P
1980 VW dasher 1.6l diesel

"The use of vegetable oils for engine fuels may seem insignificant today. But such oils may become in the course of time as important as petroleum and the coal tar products of the present time." Rudolf Diesel 1912
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

cold start lever

Post by Fatmobile »

I'm still thinking cold start lever because he said it was coming out the back of the pump, not the top.
inmytree
Diesel Freak

Post by inmytree »

I just joined a local Bio-Diesel Co-op and have run about 10 gallons of B-100 in my 1990 VW Jetta GL non-turbo. The previous owner stated he ran B-20 when he could.

In reading through this thread, I looks like I have a couple of things to do to insure no major problems. I just want to make sure the following to-do list is correct....and help would be welcomed. Please note, I am a novice when it comes to anything beyond an oil change (whice was a pain in the butt for this diesel, getting the oil filter out was a crazy, but that's another thread for another day :))

A) change the fuel filter.

B) change the fuel lines. I stopped by my VW mechanic to inquire about the correct size of the hoses to replace, and he gave me a couple of pieces of hose of which he stated would be acceptable. The hoses are black rubber with a mesh coating on the outside. Will these work? I read about the Viton lines and would like to pursue that route, but I have not idea what size to order and how much.

C) to orginal poster mentioned a Mesh Screen. Is this a difficult thing to do?

D) and finally the pump seal...what ever that is...I guess I'll find out...

Is there anything else I should prepare to do? And any info on specific sizes and items I need to order would be helpful.