Need More Info here!!!

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

79dieselbunny
Cetane Booster

Need More Info here!!!

Post by 79dieselbunny »

The whole idea of either home brewing bio diesel or a WVO system intrigues the hell outta me, especially with the way prices have been going lately. I am still reading up on both and weighing pros and cons of each. Looking for input on both systems. BD obviously requires fewer vehicle modifications, but more complicated to make. WVO looks interesting, but the commercial conversion kits would cost easily 2 years worth of fuel for me, and that is if I install it myself. I've also read that there are questions on how well certain types of WVO work.
1979 4d, 531,000 miles and counting! 1.6 NA
watsongs
Cetane Booster

Post by watsongs »

I'm with you on the cost of the WVO conversions - do I'm thinking of making my own I work at a marina, and have access to lots of 6-gallon boat water heaters that get thrown out when the electric heater coil goes. Marine heaters also have a heat exchanger from the engine coolant to provide hot water while the engine is running - perfect for a WVO tank. I think I can scrounge and improvise the rest. It'll probably be over the summer, though, but I'll keep you posted...

Although I do like the WVO tank that's designed to fit into the spare tire well - then I could mount my spare on the hood, Land Rover style... Jack the bunny up a couple inches, put some swampers on there....hmmm..
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

WVO tanks

Post by Fatmobile »

That's the first I've heard of a tank with a built in heat exchanger that uses coolant.
Marine water heaters hmmm.
I've been using the 6 gallon, metal, marine fuel tanks and connecting the vent line (I installed) to my 10 gallon filter tank, on long trips.
It pulls vegy out of the bigger tank, through the prefilters and into the heated 6 gallon tank as I drive down the road.
watsongs
Cetane Booster

Post by watsongs »

The new ones are pretty spendy -

http://tinyurl.com/7frsj

But the boaters around here throw out stuff just because it's dirty. We furnished our breakroom from a guy who was dumping furniture into our dumpster - his wife didn't like the color anymore. Sleeper sofa, two recliners and a bamboo table. He said he didn't know what to do with it, despite the fact that there's a thrift store that he passes about 4 blocks from the marina. Guy's got more money than sense, apparently. Anyway, I usually get one or two a year because of AC problems, the tanks are fine & maybe a little surface corrosion, but nothing that can't get fixed.
79dieselbunny
Cetane Booster

Post by 79dieselbunny »

Wow, I just checked out a few different marine water heaters...those look PERFECT for a WVO setup. Insulated tank, nice inlet/outlet for the WVO, heat exchanger already built in..nice. If you can find a way to convert the heating elements to run on 12V it would be super-perfect.

Definitely cost prohibitive though..sounds like you are in a perfect position. You could make a bundle selling the used ones!
1979 4d, 531,000 miles and counting! 1.6 NA
jkeiffer_gearhead
Turbo Charger

Post by jkeiffer_gearhead »

Watsongs, where are you located and would you be willing to sell any of those tanks that you have been accumulating?

thanks,
Justin
www.archeryprostaffmi.com
1985 GMC pickup 4x4 lift kit and runs 14.625 @ 91mph
1982 VW rabbit pickup 1.6L just rebuilt, 100mm cv's, 02A transmission
1997 Geo Tracker 1.9 TDI-M, variable gate turbo, Giles Pump
watsongs
Cetane Booster

Post by watsongs »

I'm in Anacortes, WA, which is about 1 1/2 hours norh of Seattle. Sorry, i don't have any heaters on hand right now - they've all gone to the metal recyclers in the past, because i didn't have a diesel then. I'll keep an eye out for ones that accumulate and put the word out to other marinas to be on the lookout. If I get any, you can have them for the cost of shipping. I'll post when I find any -
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

pics

Post by Fatmobile »

It'd be nice to see a picture when you find one.
Might even be nice to have one around.
Thanks for the offer. We'll see what happens.
Rat407
Diesel Freak

Post by Rat407 »

Any info on those marine water heaters? Sounds like the way to go.
65 Impala SS 4sp, 396 bored .060 over Hence Rat407
91 Jetta TD with 198k