Heater Hose Vegetable Oil Resistance...

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

BigMieux
Cetane Booster

Heater Hose Vegetable Oil Resistance...

Post by BigMieux »

Ok, I'm sure ya'll are getting sick of my stupid posts, but here goes another. ..Will vegetable oil decay a heater hose? I.E. Can I run a heater hose line into my veggie tank, or will it rot away? I think I have figured out a cheap way for me to do my little in town tank...Thanks again for your help in the past and hopefully on this question too...
Proud owner of a rusty, yellow 1980 VW Rabbit Diesel. (And a gasser '95 Cadillac Sedan DeVille)
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

heater hoses and vegetable oil

Post by Fatmobile »

Heater hose can't handle vegetable oil for long.
I think the outside is worse than the inner layer for resisting swelling and getting soft.
I don't know how long it will last, especially submerged in hot vegetable oil.
jkeiffer_gearhead
Turbo Charger

Post by jkeiffer_gearhead »

What in straight vegetable oil eats away at heater hose, i know that with biodiesel its the methanol or ethanol that eats away at the hose, but when running just straight veg oil the only difference is the liquid and not the temperature since you would otherwise run coolant through it.

If I remember right Fatmobile you use PEX hose to transfer the hot veg oil, thats what I am using as soon as i get everything hooked up, if it wont work please tell me before i hook everything up.

Later
Justin
www.archeryprostaffmi.com
1985 GMC pickup 4x4 lift kit and runs 14.625 @ 91mph
1982 VW rabbit pickup 1.6L just rebuilt, 100mm cv's, 02A transmission
1997 Geo Tracker 1.9 TDI-M, variable gate turbo, Giles Pump
BigMieux
Cetane Booster

Post by BigMieux »

So fatmobile, I need to run copper lines into the tank then, eh? That complicates things...Unless you know some other pliable material that can resist the allure of hot oil...I am so close to getting my conversion done that I can smell it...and it smells like FREEDOM.

PS. I will post pics of my setup when I get'er done, if any of ya'll care to look at them.
Proud owner of a rusty, yellow 1980 VW Rabbit Diesel. (And a gasser '95 Cadillac Sedan DeVille)
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

vegy line

Post by Fatmobile »

What in straight vegetable oil eats away at heater hose,
I'm not sure what makes it swell up and get soft. I noticed it on the outside of my HIH heater hose where it got oil on it. Doesn't normally get oil on the outside of the hose but I got sloppy.
Even diesel fuel ruins heater hose.
Some people have said new rubber is better but you can have the guy at the parts counter check for what it is resistant to.
If I remember right Fatmobile you use PEX hose to transfer the hot veg oil, thats what I am using as soon as i get everything hooked up, if it wont work please tell me before i hook everything up.
Yes, I'm using PEX for the vegy line and it handles hot vegetable oil very well. Remember to put a stint on the inside of the PEX if you are going to clamp on that area.