Big Veggie Rig

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

fornesto

Big Veggie Rig

Post by fornesto »

I'm really interested in the bio-fuels and veggie rides, but want a big car. If for no other reason to show that big cars and suvs can be healthier. Specifically, I am looking at diesel suburbans, diesel vanagons, even small school buses. I've heard mixed reviews about the diesel vanagons - specifically that they are underpowered when running straight diesel (don't know what veggie might do). Would the GMC 6.2L Diesel have similar issues related to HP? Has anyone pulled off a diesel suburban conversion?
79dieselbunny
Cetane Booster

Post by 79dieselbunny »

I just bought a 1993 Chev C3500 with a 6.5TD, once I start making the homebrew I'll let you know how it goes.
1979 4d, 531,000 miles and counting! 1.6 NA
GreaseBaron
Glow Plug

So you like little big rigs?

Post by GreaseBaron »

Recently picked up an immaculant 1986 Winnebago LeSharo with the hard to find Renault 4 cylinder diesel and 4 speed trans. Nice thing about this engine is that it uses the "tried and true" old style Bosh (volkswagen) injection pump so I know it will suck up straight vegy with nary a problem once its dialed in. These are great vehicles for overnight trips and camping and despite their "larger" size, still manage to deliver 21-25 miles per gallon which is great for an "RV". PLus they sleep 4, come with stove and shower and are highly manuverable in tight quarters. Downside is they are a little underpowered (you can strip some weight off) and the clutch pedal reguires "small" shoes to operate. But if you can find a good used one, the buy in price is very reasonable. Right now my unit is in the "mock up" stage while I figure how to fit everything in properly. But with the ability to tow a 35 gallon drum of straight veg oil on a little trailer, I should see at least an 800 mile range between refueling!