15 gallon carboy

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Rat407
Diesel Freak

15 gallon carboy

Post by Rat407 »

I'm able to get for free the 15 gallon plastic round containers. Would this work or is it better to use two 5 gallon square carboys? I'm also having problems locating a used water heater. From everywhere I have read it is always stated that you should be able to pick up a used water heater from a local plumer. Well I called them all, about 20 in my area and all said the same thing they don't have any and best bet is to go to the local land fill. Any other suggestions? Living in the sticks of NC doesn't help any. :?
Thanks
65 Impala SS 4sp, 396 bored .060 over Hence Rat407
91 Jetta TD with 198k
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

waterheaters in landfills

Post by Fatmobile »

That was probably a good tip on finding a waterheater.
I've seen stacks of them in the appliance pile.
They don't bury them like the garbage.
They store them all in one place and someone picks them up and scraps them.
I have seen several of them sitting out back of a local plumbers shop too so maybe you caught them at a bad time.
What are you using the 15 galon or 5 gallon containers for, just storage?

Post by Guest »

The carboys are used to store the Methanol in and mix it with the lye. From what I have read you would need about 9 gallons of the mix for a batch of 42 gallons of WVO to make the biodiesel. I can also get plastic 40 gallon pickle and olive barrels from the local pickle plant. I figure I can use that to store the ready to use biodiesel in. :D
Jim Halstead
Cetane Booster

water heater

Post by Jim Halstead »

Rat407,how far are you from Zebulon? Water heaters are no problem.
'03 Custom M/C Rabbit Diesel Trike
<><
Rat407
Diesel Freak

Post by Rat407 »

I'm 70 miles from the Raleigh fair grounds. I'm right down I 40, exit 355 toward Wilmington. Right now I have a line on a water heater but it isn't a done deal. I will know for sure on Friday. Thanks for looking out for me. I will keep you in mind in case this one falls through.
65 Impala SS 4sp, 396 bored .060 over Hence Rat407
91 Jetta TD with 198k
Snedly
Diesel Freak

Post by Snedly »

I have just recently begun rounding/scrounging up the parts and pieces for a small BD set up and have some concerns about using a used water heater. It's been my observation that most people replace them when they begin to leak or are very near it. I am looking into making a reactor vessel out of a 35 gallon barrel or some sort of small tank that has good integrity.
1985 Golf diesel/4 door http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2208145
1993 Honda Civic
2004 Honda Accord
1998 Chevy 2500 (HO 454)
Assorted campers and boats
hjalbert
Turbo Charger

Post by hjalbert »

rat, would that be FAISON? (sp) trying to remember the exit, Im in wilmington. also trying to get started making biodiesel as well, as I have a steady supply of v.o, but dont drive a whole lot, so storing vegetable oil is not as appealing to me as bd. Ill trade you a used water heater for a couple of pickle barrels :) but seriously do yours have lids?