Add one more VW to the WVO list.

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Clay01
Cetane Booster

Add one more VW to the WVO list.

Post by Clay01 »

I just finished my second week of driving on WVO... and boy does it feel good!!! Since this is my first experience with this, I chickened out and plunked down the bucks for a kit from Greasel, rather than try to piece a kit together. I figure at $3.29 a gallon for diesel, it will take 30-33 weeks to recoup my investment.
The local restauraunt was only too happy to give me their waste oil. I get about 20 gallons a week(closer to 16 after filtering out the impurities). Thanks to all who have given their insight and input into this forum.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

svo

Post by Fatmobile »

Congradulations.
Must be hard for you to stop smiling.
You = >>> :D
Get a vacuum gauge on the fuel line.
Charlie B
Cetane Booster

Post by Charlie B »

And see how fast you get used to driving by gas stations and not even paying attention to the prices or if you do its a mild case of looks like prices are up a coupla cents and drive off smiling.
81 diesel Rabbit
Running on WVO
Clay01
Cetane Booster

Post by Clay01 »

Ive had a lot of fun with my co-workers. Some of them are toying with the idea of finding an old VW diesel, however with the fuel prices being what they are, they are getting quite hard to find. They joke about the Golf smelling like french fries. I say no, it smells like freedom.
Fatmobile, what kind of vacuum gauge do you recommend? Thanks.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

vacuum gauge

Post by Fatmobile »

About any lighted vacuum gauge will work. I'm not sure VDO makes one.
Sometimes they are called fuel economy gauges because on gassers ... the lower the vacuum, the more fuel you are using. They are more colorful than a plain vacuum gauge.
I'm having a hard time finding them at the local parts stores and have bought my last couple online.
There is a picture of my preferred way to tap it into the fuel line, on my temp sensor page (www at the bottom of my posts). Double stacked banjo bolt from a VW gasser, with a banjo off the injector line from a VW gasser so I can use thinner line to the gauge.
Connecting it right to the input banjo makes it so you can read how hard the pump is pulling ... on diesel and vegy.
This isn't just something that's used with vegy, I think all VW diesels should have one. They tell if the tank screen (on the Rabbits) is clogged, tank vent is clogged, fuel is gelling or filter is getting clogged ... way before it becomes a problem.
Clay01
Cetane Booster

Post by Clay01 »

ARG!!! Over the last 3 weeks or so, the quality of my used oil I get from the local restaraunt has gone steadily downhill. When I first started getting oil from them, I would let it settle in the clear 5 gallon jug for 2 or 3 days and I would consistently get between 3 and 4 gallons of good oil to siphon off the top. The bottom gallon or so would be the "gravy" or animal fats. That gradually went down to about 50/50 and the last two trips have yeilded nothing but gravy after cooling and settling. NO useable oil. Looks like it might be time to find another source.
DonTSA
Glow Plug

Post by DonTSA »

if you were near me id give ya some oil.. i get 70 gallons a week
hjalbert
Turbo Charger

Post by hjalbert »

where are you located at Don? 70 gallons a weeks is alot of oil. also, Clay is it maybe becasue it is getting colder that your oil is looking the way it is? I know this was posted back in october, here it is still 65-70* but still, over night my oil congeals or whatever its called. WHen heated up it is looking much better.
Clay01
Cetane Booster

Post by Clay01 »

Hj, you have a good point. I initially had my operation set up out in my garage( two car detached) and it was starting to get rather chilly at night. I moved my WVO operation indoors and things improved significantly - still not quite the yield I was getting at first, but acceptable. The restauraunt owner said that it could be due to the fact that they are cooking more Calamari SP? and that really kills the oil. Thanks for the reply.