Sulphur?

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Harry
Turbo Charger

Sulphur?

Post by Harry »

I was told that regular petro-diesel has sulphur in it, that it is lubricating in some sort of way. Does the WVO or the Bio-diesel need the sulphur too? If it is needed, how is it added and how much? I admit I don't know much about this stuff, but it is very interesting. Thanks.
Harry

'85 1.6n/a Golf
'81 1.6n/a Dasher wagon
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

lubricity

Post by Fatmobile »

WVO and biodiesel have more lubricity than diesel.
They lube fine as they are.
Snedly
Diesel Freak

Post by Snedly »

I was told that "they" (whom ever "they" are) are going to begin taking the Sulphur out of Dyno juice and the cost per gallon will of course go up.

Seems like everything is going up except my paycheck, heck, at this rate most middle class will be on wellfare in the not so distant future.
1985 Golf diesel/4 door http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2208145
1993 Honda Civic
2004 Honda Accord
1998 Chevy 2500 (HO 454)
Assorted campers and boats
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

Sulfur isn't a lubricate as far as I know. But the desulphuring process removes some of the lubricating properties of diesel along with the sulfur. A lot of people are adding all kinds of things to their fuel because of this in Canada anyway. We are mandated to low sulfur by the end of the year. So the high sulfur stuff is pretty much gone right now.
BigMieux
Cetane Booster

Post by BigMieux »

Nah, we won't be on welfare, we'll still make too much money. We'll have to quit our jobs so we can get on welfare to get by. They government says the core CPI is still ok tho....because the core CPI doesn't take food costs or energy into consideration....or housing. Which means that I can't afford to drive, eat or live, but I can buy a CD player for my car at a reasonable price!!!
l
Proud owner of a rusty, yellow 1980 VW Rabbit Diesel. (And a gasser '95 Cadillac Sedan DeVille)
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

All manufacturing jobs are going to china and all Service Industry jobs are going to illegal immigrants.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
steve
Turbo Charger

Post by steve »

the only jobs left will be politicians and managers. I'm not sure what to tell my daughters when they grow up. gotta think of something they can't outsource out of the US... How bout build houses or roads or something. Can't import those. Better learn spanish...
1984 VW Quantum 1.6 TD 470,000 miles
2003 Jetta TDI 95K
VW cat
Turbo Charger

Post by VW cat »

A friend once told me he was going to play a recording to his 3 daughters every night as they slept. "Marry doctor, lawyer, dentist", repeat. However, he didn't say what to do if you had sons to raise.

A neighbour said to look to the more evolved European countries to see what will happen here eventually. The continued evolution of the small, fuel efficient car seems to be one of them.