Couple of Fatmobile-specific questions- Vacuum, return loop

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

rbrennick
Cetane Booster

Couple of Fatmobile-specific questions- Vacuum, return loop

Post by rbrennick »

Or anyone can chime in:
1. Pump vacuum guage: Could one use a pump return banjo fitting on the feed side with the large and small barbs for the vacuum connection? Good seals, or cut and tap for standard barb fittings? Wouldn't the pump pull air from the vacuum hose, or would it eventually "neutralize" the air/vs fuel in the line and be OK?
2. If I cannot re-heat my return loop as my filter will be mounted by the tank in the trunk, any other suggestions to keep the fuel warm?
3. On a new system start-up/test, would it be wiser to do get the system operational/ air bubble clear-out with regular diesel fuel- then add WVO?

Thanks; I'm sure there may be others who would also like to know.
Thanks,
Rich
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

vacuum gauge etc

Post by Fatmobile »

1. I think when trying to use a return banjo they ended up pointing in the wrong directions.
Tap the bolt and thread it 1/8" NPT. Using 2 taps (one a bottoming tap) so you don't start threading below the holes and make the bolt weak. I'll try to post a pic later.
Fuel will actually ride up the vacuum line. I pull the tubing off the back of the gauge every once in awhile so fuel will be drawn back into the pump.

2. Maybe you can use the small coolant line from the radiator to the resevoir for a heat source.

3. If air is what you are worried about vegy is just as bad as diesel when it has air in it. Diesel shouldn't be heated over 160 or it looses it's lubricity.
rbrennick
Cetane Booster

Post by rbrennick »

Thanks, Fatmobile!
You're a good man and a valuable resource for all of us knuckleheads!
I'm getting closer...
Regards,
Rich