Timer (kinda) for shutting off engine.

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

ceiii2000
Glow Plug

Timer (kinda) for shutting off engine.

Post by ceiii2000 »

So I am working on a circuit that will monitor the WVO temp in the filter and switch automatically when at 150F. I also want to have it so that I can turn the key off and the car will run until the purge is done.

My question is what all do I need to keep power on for this?

Just the pump and the selenoid, or whatever, that cuts off the engine?
1989 Jetta Greasecar kit
1987 Mercedes 300SDL
1993 Dodge 2WD LE
http://www.frappr.com/burningthemidnightgrease
sideburns
Turbo Charger

Post by sideburns »

Heres my Idea.
If you know how long it will take to purge your system at idle, you can get a timer switch that is normally closed, have a lead coming off the switch so that there is always a power source for the IP stop solenoid,
the switch and stock system will then work together when the car is on, but when you turn the key off, you still have power going to the Stop solenoid, until the timer shuts it off, and your car stops.
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

Sounds good! Same timer system would give some 'cool-down' time to the turbo, possibly delaying/preventing coked bearing surfaces.

J.R.
SoCal
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

timer

Post by Fatmobile »

I've thought a little about this.
There is an Su wire coming from the ignition so when you put your key in the ignition it make beepers go off and stuff.
If you could turn the car off and use the power from the Su to tell you if the vegy system is till turned on ... at least you'd have a beeper or something to remind you that you are shutting down while on vegy.
At most you could use this to trigger a timer that kept power going to the injection pump.
If you were going down the road and shut the vegy system off ... it could purge for a certain time, then go back to diesel. If you shut the car off while on vegy, it would keep running and begin to purge untill you pulled the key out or it timed out.
Turn off the key while in vegy mode; it beeps at you and you pull the key so it will shut off instead of begin to purge vegy from the injection pump.