Biofuels testing to begine soon at Kettering University

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

jkeiffer_gearhead
Turbo Charger

Biofuels testing to begine soon at Kettering University

Post by jkeiffer_gearhead »

Well I fInally found a Dyno here that I can use and will start tuning up the new Turbo diesel on the dyno documenting any changes in fuel and boost modifications, and then when I have it where I want it I will start testing Used Veg oil in it, new veg oil, Compression tests before and after testing, also I will run different Blends of Biodiesel on the dyno

I think testing of fuels will go something like this

Diesel Fuel
B2
B5
B10
B20
B50
B75
B100
Used Veg oil
New Veg oil

I will also be taking the temperatures of the entire engine as well as pressures if work will let me borrow the instrumentation to test
I will post results for those who are curious

Later
Justin
www.archeryprostaffmi.com
1985 GMC pickup 4x4 lift kit and runs 14.625 @ 91mph
1982 VW rabbit pickup 1.6L just rebuilt, 100mm cv's, 02A transmission
1997 Geo Tracker 1.9 TDI-M, variable gate turbo, Giles Pump
subiemech85
Turbo Charger

dyno

Post by subiemech85 »

I am curious as far as a baseline, especially for power at rpm, 1800 and 5k
2/1985 greman build jetta diesel 1.6 IDI
odometer broken stopped at 212,300 for sale, $ 2,500
"chatterbox"

04/81 rabbit pickup 64,xxx miles
Slate Grey Metallic (LE6U)
WTB: liftkit
rbrennick
Cetane Booster

Bio Testing

Post by rbrennick »

Hi Justin,
Do you have access to any emission testing equipment?
My daughter is doing a school project in her accelerated Math/ Science HS program on emissions of various fuels:
Diesel
WVO
B20
My car would be the mule.

Car is ready to test; could do diesel and WVO in one visit; come back and do B20 on another day?

Thanks,
Rich Brennick/ Big Rapids brennick@net-port.com
jkeiffer_gearhead
Turbo Charger

we do have an emissions bench, it will be a few weeks before we get any results, that will have a cummins 5.9 as the test bench, then we might hook up my car to the emmissions bench for steady state emmissions, the wheel dyno is in a different building than the emissions bench, I will Try to get the ball rolling on this for you. I know that I will have some power differences with in I would hope 2 weeks maybe next week some time

I will let you know if we need a test mule right now I have a 1.6 TD and 2 of the other guys doing the testing with me have 1.6 NA's so there are enough canidates for the wheel dyno.

thanks for the interest and I will share all results

later
Justin
MaximumMax001
Glow Plug

...from a KU grad

Post by MaximumMax001 »

Hey man, I read your story in the latest school newspaper. I am very excited to see the results - if you wouldn't mind, E-mail them to me when you're finished. I imagine you're working with Dr. Hoff - say hi from Brian Bassett for me. I am now looking into getting myself one of these little diesels to experiment with the biodiesel thing and your results would be beneficial. Feel free to drop me a line - and if you have any advice, please let me know.
P.S. If you're working in the chassis dyno downstairs where the fuel cell vehicle is tested - I installed it, be careful.
Thanks!
jkeiffer_gearhead
Turbo Charger

Thanks, the I am working with Dr. Hoff and Dr. Davis

the dyno in where the fuel cells are is the old one in the floor right? if so the controller is bad, the dyno that we are using is a mustang ATV dyno, the rabbit fits on it with about 3 inches to spare on each side

we have only done a baseline and so far I am putting out about 70 hp and 120 lb-ft of torque at the flywheel, I am hoping to get more out of it before I instrument everything on the car and then begine testing in a few weeks if everything goes well

whats your email??

Later
Justin
MaximumMax001
Glow Plug

YES!

Post by MaximumMax001 »

I am grinning now - the mustang ATV dyno is the one I put it, I just graduated in September of 05. Seriously, mention my name to Dr. Hoff - he'll remember me.

Keep me posted as to your efforts - I am very curious to try some boiodiesel out, and I was looking into which cars to go for. I have been checking out the "caddy" VW but it may be a little tough to find. Please give me any information you have on that stuff.
Thanks
jkeiffer_gearhead
Turbo Charger

MaximumMax001

I have a VW Caddy, its a 1982 in decent shape except that the front end is all smashed up, I plan on fixing it up and selling it this summer with a rebuilt engine and a 1980 rabbit car front clip and repainted black, with a veg oil conversion

they are hard to find and when you do they are expensive, so good luck

I will say Hi to him when I see him, I knew that I had heard the name bassett somewhere

Later
Justin