hose in hose heating line

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

sethyboy85
Cetane Booster

hose in hose heating line

Post by sethyboy85 »

http://www.fattywagons.com/fwproducts.htm

I can't find the compression fittings they use in there tube in tube style heated line... anybody got any ideas? I asked my dad ex-plumber now working for HD and he says he doesn't knwo of anybody around us that would carry those (couple wholesale places and your normal spots)

I can make 50' of my own hose in hose heating for $80 if I can just find those fittings, with those fittings it would bring the cost up but I can't justify spending $80 on 15' of something I can make.
91 Dodge Spirit R/T 2.2l 8v , T3/T4 50t S2, NPR IC, 3"E, custome cal FS
85 Jetta 1.6l TD motor, NA34X inj, 2.5" T-back FS
subiemech85
Turbo Charger

idea

Post by subiemech85 »

solder a "T" to a coupler
solder the coupler to the compression fitting
try a "big box" home improvement store
watts fittings
2/1985 greman build jetta diesel 1.6 IDI
odometer broken stopped at 212,300 for sale, $ 2,500
"chatterbox"

04/81 rabbit pickup 64,xxx miles
Slate Grey Metallic (LE6U)
WTB: liftkit
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

HWH

Post by Fatmobile »

That looks like they are using a 1/2" compression fitting sweated to a 1.2" copper "T".
That is a hard piece to find. I've only seen 1 like it.
The 3/8" compression that sweats onto 1/2" is easy to find.
Maybe they used a 1/2" compression fitting that threads onto pipe and drilled it out to fit the copper "T". I'll have to take a look at the fittings next time I'm in town and see if that is possible.
sethyboy85
Cetane Booster

Post by sethyboy85 »

I found out they use a standard compression fitting and drill out the tube stop...

I actualy service the plumbing department in 2 home depots but that doesn't mean I actually have to look at the product, just mach SKU or upc to home and bay to planogram (corporate idea of how it should look) and other stuff vendorish related tasks. asked a 2 of the plumbers there today and they both said just shove it in a vice and drill it out
91 Dodge Spirit R/T 2.2l 8v , T3/T4 50t S2, NPR IC, 3"E, custome cal FS
85 Jetta 1.6l TD motor, NA34X inj, 2.5" T-back FS
hjalbert
Turbo Charger

Post by hjalbert »

I would like to know where they got that also. but one of the things I dont like about that set up is the small volume of coolant flow around the fuel line and inside the tee. 3/8 od inside of 1/2 doesnt leave much room. the way I make them works great, but costs about 7 dollars per end. I drill out a 3/8barbx1/2mpt and use a black iron 3/4x1/2x1/2 tee. 5/8s barbx1/2 mpt on top, and a 3/4barbx3x4mpt coming out with the line inside it.
1980 two door dasher
1982 Isuzu Pup 4x4 diesel work truck
1968 red Baja Bug-stolen 4-12-2010
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

HWH clearance

Post by Fatmobile »

I think a 1/6" clearance around the fuel line is perfect.
Make it any wider and the coolant flows slower.
Often flowing too slow to move air from the line and air will gather at the high spots.
If you are running the coolant through 3/8" tubing, either to wrap around the filter or heat the tank, it will limit the coolant flow. Having a huge gap between the fuel line and outer hose will mean slow flow and air bubbles tapped in the high spots.
I use 1/2" OD PEX for fuel line and 5/8'" heater hose for the outer hose.