Keep-ability of WVO and/or Bio-D timewise

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Harry
Turbo Charger

Keep-ability of WVO and/or Bio-D timewise

Post by Harry »

How long will filtered and properly contained and covered WVO remain viable, and, also, Bio-Diesel? I am unexperienced with either, but trying to decide which direction to go. This forum is great, so much info, very, very helpful. Thank you, Harry.
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

Does no one on this forum have an answer, or even a S.W.A.G. for this question?

TIA

J.R.
79dieselbunny
Cetane Booster

Post by 79dieselbunny »

I don't know an exact amount of time, but what I have read on other forums, the vegetable oil will keep somewhat longer than finished biodiesel will. Both will last quite a while though, many months.
1979 4d, 531,000 miles and counting! 1.6 NA
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

So it sounds like it's similar to petro-diesel. Does one just add some "Sta-bil" or similar product, or even a diesel biocide if it's to be stored for more than a few months? Would that allow me to store a couple hundred gallons in reserve for bio-diesel powered generator, tractor, etc?

J.R.
GreaseBaron
Glow Plug

Works good-lasts a long time.

Post by GreaseBaron »

My experience has shown the "lifespan" of straight veg oil can be measued in years if properly stored. The key is to make the purity as close to perfect as you can and dont leave a lot of rotting crud in it! My storage system is just ordinary plastic 55 gallon drums with locking tops. I store my oil in a cool shed in the dark. Of course being in the middle of Wisconsin probably helps a lot because the oil is naturally "super cooled" for at least 5 months a year. I just checked a drum a few weeks ago that I know I put into storage at least 4 years ago and I would not hesitate to use it. In areas of the country where it is a lot hotter I suppose you could get some type of algae growth eventually, but just heating it up and filtering it back down to 5 micron should get rid of it I would think. And once you do some basic calculations and figure out your "actual potential usage" per year, you dont have to have a lot of excess in storage.