fatmobile copper

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

JIM S
Cetane Booster

fatmobile copper

Post by JIM S »

fatmobile will copper tubing 3/8 copper tubing work for hose in @hose or will used cooking oil affect it? if it dont hurt brass it may not hart copper thanks..
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

copper

Post by Fatmobile »

I had a copper tubing heat exchanger in my first vegy tank.
Vegy wasn't flowing through it but it was emersed in vegy for years and it didn't seem to mess it up.
I do worry that it can become brittle and crack or kink when bent (and inside another hose you wouldn't know about it) but I have heard of people using it and though I don't visit the vegy forum often enough, I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with it.
I don't think it's the best option.
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

Quoting Fatmobile: "I had a copper tubing heat exchanger... I don't think it's the best option."

OK. Then what is "the best option"?

I was planning to load a copper heating coil into my aluminum tank and connect with through-fittings to HWH. I'm sure open to suggestions from the experienced among us.

And thanks, in advance.

J.R.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

tank heater

Post by Fatmobile »

I've been using 3/8" stainless tubing for the in-tank heater tubing.
For the vegy fuel line I use PEX now and I like it.
Works great and can be had for a fair price.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

Home Depot is stocking ABS tubing. It's semi clear milky white. I was wondering how this stuff would fair with veggy, diesel and glycol.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I guess a sign from the ABS piping fell onto the tubing. It's really called polyethylene tubing.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

fuel line

Post by Fatmobile »

Polyethylene bad.
Polyethylene melts, the Fatmobile eat anitfeeze and neighbor kids tow him home. :oops:
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I really feel for the fatmobile. That's why I though I start with my 500 dollar car and get the kinks out of the conversion set-up. Then move up the food chain. I'm thinking copper and aluminum tubing have advantage over stainless as far as heat transfer goes. I believe its about double but it doesn't have the strength of stainless. I don't know if it's an issue most of time but in the Great White North I'm looking for every advantage I can find. I'm also thinking of running the HIH inside the golf. Anybody got any thoughts on the best spot to go though the fire wall and to the IP.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta
GreaseBaron
Glow Plug

Copper lines.

Post by GreaseBaron »

I've never had any long term problems running copper fuel lines in any application. But I must agree with the above post that PEX is now a superior product in many ways. Its pretty easy to work with and "stable" forever. When running copper lines you have to "kinda" know what you are doing and have some experience because that stuff will kink tight real easy if you are careless or dont have the right "bending" tools. Not to mention that the price of copper is going up and up!
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I just read an article about WVO and copper at
http://www.journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html

There claiming that the copper has a catalytic effect on WVO and causes oxidation stability. This can cause the WVO to become acidic and eat things like the IP. Brass and bronze are copper alloys. Brass being copper and zinc. Bronze being copper and tin. So they seem to be a no no as well. I was just about to install some copper on my conversion and now I'm having second thoughts. Do anyone want to build a still. I have a deal for you.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta