B 20 BIO DIESEL??

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

farfromfuelin
Cetane Booster

B 20 BIO DIESEL??

Post by farfromfuelin »

MY LOCAL BP GAS STATION SELLS B 20 DIESEL THEY SAY ITS BIO DIESEL. IS THAT TRUE, IF SO WHATS IN IT AND IS IT OK TO RUN IN MY 84 TD JETTA?? THANKS
Asymtave
Diesel Freak

Post by Asymtave »

B20 means 20% biodiesel and 80% petroleum diesel. B100 would be 100% biodiesel.

Your car should run fine but you need to be aware of a couple of things. Biodiesel tends to act like a solvent and free up a bunch of junk in a 22 year old fuel system. So be prepared to change a fuel filter after you start running it - maybe. 20% is a pretty low concentration so it may not cause a problem.

Also - the rubber fuel system components in your car, if original, are not meant to handle biodiesel. They won't melt immediately at 20% bio, but biodiesel will tend to disintegrate them over time (# of miles?).

So - feel free to try it but carry a spare fuel filter. If you plan on running it over aperiod of time then plan on replacing your fuel lines if they are original.

Eric
81 Pickup
91 Eco Jetta
farfromfuelin
Cetane Booster

Post by farfromfuelin »

Thanks for the info, should I use a special fuel line, I beleive theres only
a short peice bt the tankk, one from filter to pump and those small ones between the injectors, I think I rear something about being able to use 1/4" air brake line or something like that on the injectors???
Asymtave
Diesel Freak

Post by Asymtave »

People use different things. Right now I am simply using clear vinyl tubing from the home store (Lowe's) for my fuel lines. I am planning a WVO setup so I am not sure what I'll eventually end up with.

I've read here or elsewhere that some people use that brake line with good success. One material that you're sure to be OK with is Viton (McMaster Carr) but expensive. Some guys also say motorcycle fuel line. Maybe this is already set up to be methanol (in all biodiesel to some extent?) resistant?

If your Jetta is like my Rabbit, you'll have some short lengths of rubber back at the tank, then steel lines to the engine compartment, then rubber to the fuel filter, from there to the pump, from the pump back to the steel return line, and finally the little 1/8" ID between injectors. Not much material really so if you're serious about this then maybe replace all with Viton once and be done with it.

Also - some have had issues with old injection pumps forming leaks over time for the same reasons the rubber lines fail. I had to rebuild mine anyway so I have all new bio safe seals so can't comment there either.

Do a search on this site "biodiesel fuel lines" or something and see what else you come up with.

Eric
81 Pickup
91 Eco Jetta
jkeiffer_gearhead
Turbo Charger

Post by jkeiffer_gearhead »

farfromfuelin,

Where in michigan are you that they sell B20? Just Curious since I cannot ever find any B20 pumps in my area besides the one in Greenville

later
Justin
www.archeryprostaffmi.com
1985 GMC pickup 4x4 lift kit and runs 14.625 @ 91mph
1982 VW rabbit pickup 1.6L just rebuilt, 100mm cv's, 02A transmission
1997 Geo Tracker 1.9 TDI-M, variable gate turbo, Giles Pump
farfromfuelin
Cetane Booster

Post by farfromfuelin »

Justin, getting the b20 at a bp station in bay city next to saginaw vally harley davison. they claim to be the first and only in the are, people tell me it smells different, runs the same to me. my inlaws are farmers so
bio I go!
The older I get the better I was!!