Mix diesel fuel and WVO

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Diesel Dean
Turbo Charger

Mix diesel fuel and WVO

Post by Diesel Dean »

Can I mix a few gallons of WVO in my diesel Rabbit when I fill it up. Will it stay mixed up in the tank with no clogs? Should I mix it in a five gallon can with diesel then put in the car? What air temp should I be concerned about clogging or jelling? I know I should filter it but what filter should I use? Can I use like a paint filter and dump it in the filter? Where can I get a filter? I am new to the WVO thing so I hope this dosen't sound to dum.
Thanks Dean
vwcampin
Glow Plug

Post by vwcampin »

Dean,
With the questions you are asking, you will get quite a few differing answers. You can mix WVO in with the diesel, however some have indicated that this can cause some "wax" to fall out of the diesel and clog filters. You can also blend with RUG (regular unleaded gas) or kerosene. Whenever blending it is recomended to mix outside the fuel tank first, rather than dumping everything in the tank together. As far as temperatures are concerned, it depends on what type of oil you are using as to when it starts to gel. Once you have a source for your oil, take a small amount in a jar/bottle and put it in the firdge and/or freezer. Once it gets later in the year, you can also leave it outside to see what it looks like on a daily basis. It is normally recomended to filter to at least 5 microns. The filtering/dewatering is going to be the most important part of running WVO. Read up on it as much as you can.

Blending is still very experimental as opposed to a two tank system, so spend some time reading up on it. Most will still recommend some form of heat added to your system, such as a injection line heaters, FPHE (flat plate heat exchanger) glow plug heater, etc. I would recommend going to http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/groupee/forums and reading as much as you can in the SVO forums.

Good luck and have fun with it!
Diesel Dean
Turbo Charger

Post by Diesel Dean »

Thanks for the reply. Today I have found a place to get WVO at a mexican restrant they said I could pick it up every three days. I am going to run it thru a filter and mix three gallons in with seven gallons of diesel fuel. I will post how it works out.
Thanks Dean
Diesel Dean
Turbo Charger

Post by Diesel Dean »

Well I have driven 1000 miles mixing 50/50 veg oil and diesel. The engine ran ruff on start up for a few min. then would clear out and run ok. But the engine was starting harder so after 1000 miles I went back to just diesel. I was afraid of doing harm to the engine. It also had a new knocking noise. I have driven about 250 miles on just diesel and it runs great again with no new knocks. It sounds normal now. If I try to run veg oil again I will go to a full veg kit.