wvo Bio?

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

JAMES ADKINS
Turbo Charger

wvo Bio?

Post by JAMES ADKINS »

Whats wvo stand for i know the last 2 letters stand for veg. oil .Also exactly whats bio diesel and can it be bought and ran in a diesel not modified?i have a 82 Audi 4000 1.6NA.Thanks for answering my stupid questions but i've checked back several times and still see no reference to the meanings. :roll:
floydr
Cetane Booster

Post by floydr »

WVO stands for Waste vegetable oil ie. oil from deep fryers
bio- diesel can be bought at some truck stops/ do a search for places that sell it locally. it comes in different grades depending on the amount of bio-diesel in the mixture from b20 all the way up to b100, b20 being 20% bio-diesel b100 being 1005 bio diesel
it can be run in most diesels unmodified depending on age of the fuel system if it has any natural rubber parts bio-diesel will eat right through the natural rubber.the Injector pump seals are also prone to leaking if they are older natural rubber seals when using bio-diesel. This info I have gathered from my research not based on actual experience.
later mark
1981 VWDasher Diesel
WVO conversion sept 27,2006
Single tank conversion
12v injector line heaters, coolant fuel filter heater, and 12v fuel line heater
floydr
Cetane Booster

Post by floydr »

The year i have read that natural rubber stopped being used in most fuel systems was 1992 or 1993. Chances are using bio-diesel will cause leaking in your audi.
later mark
1981 VWDasher Diesel
Single tank conversion
JAMES ADKINS
Turbo Charger

Post by JAMES ADKINS »

Thanks Mark that's very good info.
jackfrost1031
Cetane Booster

Post by jackfrost1031 »

is it the veg oil or the methanol in BIO that effects the rubber?
88 Fox

Diesel Fox - Motor Stripped
floydr
Cetane Booster

Post by floydr »

I believe it is the vegetable oil that affects the rubber ,in a wvo conversion The oil will eat though seals and hoses but it does it at a slower rate I have read.
My experience has been I needed to replace the orginal fuel lines at the tank once I had converted my car, but they may well have been leaking before that.I had to replace my injector pump before I converted over to vegetable oil.
Hope this helps
later Mark
p.s. biodiesel is suppose to be a very strong solvent and will eat at your natural rubber parts.
1981 VWDasher Diesel
Single tank conversion
audiesel
Cetane Booster

Post by audiesel »

Check the FAQ on the VW Diesel general forum for a biodeisel "conversion" description. It's pretty helpful!
1982 Audi 4000s diesel
1972 Mercedes 220D WVO Greasecar
v8volvo
Turbo Charger

Post by v8volvo »

floydr wrote:I believe it is the vegetable oil that affects the rubber ,in a wvo conversion The oil will eat though seals and hoses but it does it at a slower rate I have read.
My experience has been I needed to replace the orginal fuel lines at the tank once I had converted my car, but they may well have been leaking before that.I had to replace my injector pump before I converted over to vegetable oil.
Hope this helps
later Mark
p.s. biodiesel is suppose to be a very strong solvent and will eat at your natural rubber parts.
It's usually a moot point since most people who run WVO will also want to be able to run biodiesel as their startup/shutdown fuel in warmer months...but my impression is that the methanol is what eats the rubber. Same reason gassers that run on ethanol need special fuel system parts.

One telling fact: WVO kits from Greasecar come with fuel hose that works for diesel and veg, but NOT for B100. Ask me how I know. :x I put on some biodiesel-proof line from Gates and it is holding up fine. I think they're stupid for doing this, if they want to appeal to green-minded customers their kits should be able to use biodiesel! But that's the long answer to your question, I guess.
'81 Rabbit 1.6D/5-speed, sold '09
'86 Volvo 740 TD wagon, 295k