Converting a 1971 VW Camper to a Turbo Diesel

This is a place for us to share progress on and upgrades to our vw diesels.

Moderator: Fatmobile

avocado
Turbo Charger

Re: Converting a 1971 VW Camper to a Turbo Diesel

Post by avocado »

bscutt wrote:Well if you need tech support or parts in the DC area PM me. Would love to see the bus. I am in Northern VA about 1o miles south of the DC line
Thanks bscutt. I was actually planning on PM'ing you just to see if you wanted to see it once I got it down here, but I figured I shouldn't get ahead of myself. :D

I'll definitely ping you once I've arrived safe and sound.
Currently working on shoehorning a 1.6 TD out of a 1984 Jetta into a 1971 VW Camper (Hardtop)

"Huppity Hup! Rev! Rev! GO GO GO GO!"
avocado
Turbo Charger

WOO-HOO!

Post by avocado »

Ok, maybe it's because it's 39degF out, but I finally took my turbo-diesel-powered bus out for a drive on the highway where I didn't overheat, the coolant didn't boil over, etc.

I found the biggest, longest, sustained grade (5-6 miles) and put my foot into it. Highest water temp: under 200degF. On the way back, without trying to go wide-open-throttle (WOT) the whole time, temps hovered around 180degF.

Long story short, I think I can drive at a sustained 55 or 60 mph and not risk overheating. More tests to follow prior to driving back to DC, but this is promising.

WOOT!!!!
Currently working on shoehorning a 1.6 TD out of a 1984 Jetta into a 1971 VW Camper (Hardtop)

bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

You should be fine in winter weather then. Tomorrow it will hit 68 here but temps will drop again on Monday so depending on when you plan on driving south you should be fine. You will get passed a lot here, nobody goes under 70 in the 55 zones. It's pretty annoying to those of use who just aren't in a hurry.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

Completed my frist long trip in the bus: 250 miles round trip from Pittsburgh up to Townville, PA and back.
:mrgreen:

Water temps mostly stayed at or below 180degF as indicated by the VDO gauge measured at the main block outlet flange. Not sure if this is because that's the temp where (1) the T-stat is opening, (2) the oil starts getting sent to the oil cooler, or (3) when the fan starts coming on (the fan seems to occasionally run when the vehicle is going slow and the indicated temp is near 180)...or some combination of all of the above.

Regardless, it makes me very happy!

Highest indicated temp was around 200degF after particularly long, hilly runs. It was more common for the temps to hit and hover around 190degF until I took my foot out of it and let it come back down. And honestly, the times I most often saw temperature issues were when I tried to go too fast for too long: when I stuck to a steady 55 to 57 mph (3100 to 3250 rpm), I didn't have any issues, and she just sipped diesel (fuel gauge needle didn't move in 50 miles). I'm used to driving slow having owned buses for so long - it's often more a matter of driving by oil temperature than by power that you've got - so it wasn't a big deal, although I honestly was hoping for slightly higher cruising speeds with the TD. More cooling system tuning to do I guess. The one thing of note was that cruising at 55, I barely had my foot on the throttle...lots of spare power to give.

And really, power was solid in general, and I spent very little of my time with the throttle all the way open. The gap in gearing between 2nd and 3rd is a little large on long hills, but I'm surviving so far.

Misc notes:

- I still have an oil leak somewhere. I'm thinking it's at one of the oil pressure senders. Ugh.
- Still running straight water as a coolant (I've been mucking about with plumbing enough that I decided to stop wasting coolant)...need to change that now that the leaks are mostly sorted out.
- Waffling between using a 170degF thermostat and the current 180degF one. A big part of me says: it ain't broke, so don't fix it! But I'm still considering experimenting with it.
- Ambient temps were around 60 degrees on the ride back (although it was slightly downhill, so that might have helped my temps). Temps last night were around 40-45.
- I did a lot of work to seal the area around my radiator so that no air would bypass it. This might have been a difference maker (along with the oil cooler).
- With all the electronics on: headlights, rad fan (possibly), and heater fan, the alternator light glows slightly, so I might be putting too much load on my system.

avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

bscutt wrote:You should be fine in winter weather then. Tomorrow it will hit 68 here but temps will drop again on Monday so depending on when you plan on driving south you should be fine. You will get passed a lot here, nobody goes under 70 in the 55 zones. It's pretty annoying to those of use who just aren't in a hurry.
I hear you on the 70 in the 55's. It can be harrowing, especially as they come up on you at 80!

Hopefully I'll be in DC tomorrow (took an extra day to get some more stuff done)...see you soon!

avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

Well, I made it as far as Hagarstown before my injection pump started spraying diesel everywhere. Tried to debug but couldn't get much farther than determining it was coming from the area where the four lines go into the side of the pump...

bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Any luck with it today? Check the bolt that goes into the timing hole. Spraying doesn't sound good. Hope a line didn't break. If you were closer I'd almost be tempted to come get you with my tow dolly but with having to work puts a damper on my schedule. Trust me I'd rather tow a VW bus most days.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

bscutt wrote:Any luck with it today? Check the bolt that goes into the timing hole. Spraying doesn't sound good. Hope a line didn't break. If you were closer I'd almost be tempted to come get you with my tow dolly but with having to work puts a damper on my schedule. Trust me I'd rather tow a VW bus most days.
Thanks Bob...

I got a tow back to DC last night (I get my money out of my AAA+ membership and it's 100 miles of free towing). In bed by 6 am and probably have a parking ticket for my troubles today.

It's hard to tell exactly where the leak is coming from, but I'm thinking maybe it's just the o-ring on the head (which I take to be the point where all the lines connect)? I verified that all the lines were on tight, and even took off the one that the leak is near and reseated it, but to no avail. I'll try to take a video of it tonight and post it and maybe folks can help me debug it, but for now I guess I'm just planning on re-sealing the pump, as that's probably not a bad thing to do anyway? I mean, this engine hasn't been run with any regularity for 8 to 10 years (it was only run occasionally for the 2-3 years before I picked it up, then it sat for 6 years, and now it's only been run for short "around town runs" until this week) and it sounds like seals are common to go on such IPs...

Any thoughts or assistance you could provide would be great!

bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Well I have a bag of o-rings for the head seal and I have replaced a few, some successfully, some not :( .

Depending on how hard it is to pull the pump out, doing the seal might not be too bad but not knowing for sure if that's the problem would suck to have to reinstall it to verify that it's fixed. Not sure you have too many options though.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

bscutt wrote:Well I have a bag of o-rings for the head seal and I have replaced a few, some successfully, some not :( .

Depending on how hard it is to pull the pump out, doing the seal might not be too bad but not knowing for sure if that's the problem would suck to have to reinstall it to verify that it's fixed. Not sure you have too many options though.
It's pretty easy to pull...at least as easy as in a normal vehicle. I guess the question is: should I just replace the head seal (with the IP still installed) and once it's been verified that it was the point of failure, plan on re-sealing the whole pump?

I don't mind getting dirty and giving it a go, as it beats the price of a rebuild. :-) Probably should replace to the timing belt anyway (it's been on there for 3 or 4 years) and IIRC you're already halfway into pulling the pump at that point anyway. :wink:

bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Well in all the pumps I have had I replaced 3 or 4 head seals, 2 cold start seals,and one front shaft seal. That's in about 80,000 miles of diesel rabbits in the last 11 years (short commute). I may have also done a throttle shaft seal along the way. So if I were in your shoes I'd do the head seal and cold start seal and if the front shaft seal looks ok I would probably let it go.

Yeah doing a timing belt if it's all accessible would be a good thing to get out of the way
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

It's been a rough couple of weeks since getting towed back, and I haven't been as motivated to work on the bus as I'd like. I suspect at least some of that is due to not being able to find a rhythm on going out to the garage.

I *think* I solved the fuel leak (end of the fuel line connecting to the banjo IP outlet bolt was split) but I encountered two new problems in the interim:

1. Silly me was trying to be proactive and replace my water pump while I was doing other things. Then the bolt holding the pump to the pump housing sheared off. I should have just ordered a new housing then, but I didn't and now I'm paying for it.

2. I'm down to two or less glow plugs that work: one glow plug isn't attached, and the load on the GPs isn't enough to pop one of the 30A fuses if I remove the one in parallel to it. I *think* I could feel one of them getting slightly warm when I ran them, but who can really tell?

3. I keep shorting out the glow plug nearest the rear of the bus (timing belt side of the engine). Maybe an injector drip is to blame?

4. Seem to have isolated the oil leak to the rubber half-dollar-sized plug under the head cover or the low-pressure oil pressure sender located in the same place. Annoying.

Got some other minor issues but they're minor. Hopefully I can find glow plugs tomorrow. Also: bscutt hsa been an awesome help...go go gadget VW geeks.

Ok...bedtime!

avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

Well Volks,

I've finally given up on my project to convert my 1971 VW Bus to a TD.

Long story short: I got close to getting it working - actually drove it a couple hundred miles - but a combination of factors has made me throw in the towel.

Its mostly a matter of not having enough spare time and the fact that I'm working with a very tired diesel engine, which was a blessing (not ruining a new, good engine) and a curse (it exacerbated the issues I was having).

So I'm selling some stuff in the buy-sell-wanted forum, including the engine, if anyone needs it. Let my loss be your gain. :D

I wanted to thank you all for your sage advice, encouragement, and wisdom over the years. While I may not have gotten the project to a final state, I learned a helluva a lot and it was great to virtually meet you all. Special thanks go to bscutt and 82vdub, but really to everyone on the forum.

And who knows: I may pick up the project again sometime in the future - I'm saving the mounts and such - but I can't handle it now. We'll see.

In the meantime, if you're ever in Pittsburgh and need an encouraging ear or just want to go out for a ride in a VW or as a caravan: drop me a note! It'd be great to talk diesels, VWs and share a beer.

Cheers,
Avocado Tom

bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

So are you back in the Pittsburgh area now?
A wild hair tells me to buy the TD motor from you but I don't get up that way much anymore. Then there's the fact that I'll probably never get around to doing anything with it.

Maybe some day you'll get the urge again and do a TDI swap or M-TDI swap into an old bus. But that sounds improbable at this point. Anyway we will probably all be here for years to come. If my 82 dies I'll be looking for a replacement, it's an affliction!
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

Yup, back in Pittsburgh.

If you decide you could use the TD, let me know and it's yours for whatever you feel like giving me. :) I'd be more than happy to deliver it the next time I'm down there, which is about every six weeks. I'd rather see it go to a good home than elsewhere...

I hope that I get the urge again for the swap, but I think it'll be a while before that happens. Like I said, I'm going to hold on to the critical and fabricated parts, although I might try to sell the adaptor plate just because I figure I'll be able to get another one if I decide to pick the project up again. We'll see...

Hope you're having a delightful December and that your bunny keeps going going going!