1.6NA turbo swap

Upgrades to the 1.5, 1.6 and 1.9 engines that make them go farther or faster
Tmarkle
Cetane Booster

1.6NA turbo swap

Post by Tmarkle »

I successfully swapped my 1.6D to turbocharged. Very happy with the power gain. I used a K03 turbo and exhaust manifold from an AHU TDI and a gasser intake manifold. HUGE difference in power! 10 psi at WOT. Here are my questions. What's a safe oil temp? Today after some vigorous testing, accelerating, and driving at 80 mph, the oil just passed 200 degrees measured at the filter flange. Does that sound reasonable? My pyrometer would only pass 1100 under heavy acceleration, even with the fuel turned up. It does have a nice big air filter and a 2" down pipe without any other exhaust yet. The probe is in the manifold between the first two cylinders on the drivers side. My oil drain comes straight down, behind the CV, then 90s into the oil pan, will that drain sufficiently? I will try to post pictures later. It is saying the file is too large and my phone won't let me make them smaller
1985 VW Jetta 1.6D, converted to TD, "Old Gregg"
1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins "Yukon Pete"
Mathius
Cetane Booster

Re: 1.6NA turbo swap

Post by Mathius »

Are you still running the stock injectors, and IP?
I have read that doing a turbo swap on the n/a is a bad idea...
The fact that the Pistons are different, and it has no oil squirters significantly shortens engine life.
I'd still like to do it though.. lol
Tmarkle
Cetane Booster

Post by Tmarkle »

Mathius wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:19 pm Are you still running the stock injectors, and IP?
I have read that doing a turbo swap on the n/a is a bad idea...
The fact that the Pistons are different, and it has no oil squirters significantly shortens engine life.
I'd still like to do it though.. lol
Yep I'm basically running "eco" style. I have heard different opinions on turboing an NA, but I think if I watch the boost, egts, and oil temp it should be fine. There are many NAs that have been converted lol
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I've converted a couple NA engines to TD and it worked just great.
Even did an old weak 1.5 and it survived a couple 35psi boost spikes.

A KO3 turbo hangs down far enough to fit a gasser intake?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Tmarkle
Cetane Booster

Post by Tmarkle »

Fatmobile wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:28 pm I've converted a couple NA engines to TD and it worked just great.
Even did an old weak 1.5 and it survived a couple 35psi boost spikes.

A KO3 turbo hangs down far enough to fit a gasser intake?
It's TIGHT! I have to use a dye grinder to shave down a few spots because the manifolds were touching, causing if them to tilt out and obviously not tighten down and seal. It's a K03 from an AHU TDI so the turbo mounts on the bottom of the manifold, but the charge pipe is very tight with the gasser manifold. A few people have told me the K03 is too restrictive but my egts seem just fine and the car has a ton more power, so I'm very happy with it! Next adventure is building the exhaust from the down pipe back, I'm thinking 2.25" either before the rear tire or out the factory location.
Tmarkle
Cetane Booster

Post by Tmarkle »

https://youtu.be/rtMdSxawcFc Here's a cool video I made of the project, go check it out!
Tmarkle
Cetane Booster

Post by Tmarkle »

So I installed a boost controller tonight. I can peak the boost @18 psi. I try not to go that high, I like to stay around 15 psi max. A slight problem has risen though. I am beginning to believe the head gasket is on the way out. The thing runs like a raped ape, tons of power, idles smooth, so on so forth but after it's warmed up and been ran for a while, it leaks water and steams underneath the water outlet on the drivers side of the head. The reservoir has enough pressure to spray coolant if you crack the cap open. The water temp gauge got to about 2/3 after some heavy acceleration. No coolant in the oil or vise versa. No white smoke or coolant smell out the exhaust. A head gasket replacement seems intimidating...
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Another way to tell if the head gasket is out; is to look at the small line coming from the radiator.
With the cap off see if there are any air bubbles entering the resevoir.

No coolant coming through that line is also a possible and common problem. One that you should hope for.

You might not need a head gasket, you might just need to make sure the restrictor in that small line isn't plugged.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Tmarkle
Cetane Booster

Post by Tmarkle »

Fatmobile wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:53 pm Another way to tell if the head gasket is out; is to look at the small line coming from the radiator.
With the cap off see if there are any air bubbles entering the resevoir.

No coolant coming through that line is also a possible and common problem. One that you should hope for.

You might not need a head gasket, you might just need to make sure the restrictor in that small line isn't plugged.
Coolant comes through that line in a steady little stream. I can romp on it with the cap off and there are no bubbles, just a faster stream. The only symptom seems to be the leak and steam, over on vwdieselnet they informed me that a pressurized tank and a little bit high temp was probably nothing to worry about, and the leak could very well be the water outlet.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Is that a plastic outlet with an o-ring seal?
If so that could be the problem.
Glad to hear you have a steady stream,.. if you see bursts of air in that stream then I would suspect a head gasket even if it runs fine.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Tmarkle
Cetane Booster

Post by Tmarkle »

Fatmobile wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 6:17 pm Is that a plastic outlet with an o-ring seal?
If so that could be the problem.
Glad to hear you have a steady stream,.. if you see bursts of air in that stream then I would suspect a head gasket even if it runs fine.
The head gasket went.... it started overheating after I replaced the flange. Then at idle the timing belt snapped. Pretty screwed...
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Others have snapped their belt at idle and been fine.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Tmarkle
Cetane Booster

Post by Tmarkle »

Fatmobile wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 3:42 pm Others have snapped their belt at idle and been fine.
Head has to come off for the head gasket anyways, so I guess I'll figure out then.