pump rebuild

Upgrades to the 1.5, 1.6 and 1.9 engines that make them go farther or faster
JAMES ADKINS
Turbo Charger

pump rebuild

Post by JAMES ADKINS »

I have a good operational ip that i plan on resealing. If i choose to do the complete teardown, are there any mods that can be done to pump to enhance performance? I know Giles does some kind of hopup but is there anything a home emechanic can do? thanks :)
the man 53
Turbo Charger

Post by the man 53 »

There are many things, some I have done and some I haven't. Governor mod is fairly easy to do. There is something about grinding the case away on the advance piston, but I haven't done that. Try searching here for some info.

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/

The FAQ and IDI sections is where most of the info is located that you will want. Search the entire forum though.
JAMES ADKINS
Turbo Charger

Post by JAMES ADKINS »

Ok i did rebuild/reseal the pump but i chickened out on the mods. Power was'nt really an issue but i really like to havea smooth operator. My pump i'll be replacing has a surge in it so i just want that to go away. Anyways wish me luck that i did a good job guy's. :)
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Is your a TD pump?
I had a surging area in mine and the governor mod got rid of it.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
JAMES ADKINS
Turbo Charger

Post by JAMES ADKINS »

Sorry about late reply ,but no the pump is a na.Car runs better now but i did have quite an oredeal with front seal. Anyways rebuild was a success.
Dakotakid
Diesel Freak

Post by Dakotakid »

Next time you do a front seal, you may attempt to buy the seal locally from a Bosch shop. Why? Because, sometimes, the shop will allow you to rent the front seal puller for a few bucks for several hours....and if you use this tool, it takes about 1.5 minutes to very safely pull the front seal!!!!
I have a local shop who does this and, yes, his price on that little seal is about 3 times that on ebay. But, it is entirely possible to scar your input shaft if you are not super careful.
In order to cut corners (financially), I will do like 3 pumps at once...buy ONE seal from him, rent his seal extractor, have additional seals on hand, and do several pumps in assembly-line fashion.
Hey...just looking out for #1 here!!!!! :lol:
The center-core beam melter has been given a new lease.
TonyB
Cetane Booster

Post by TonyB »

If you have the pump completely apart, it's a 30 second job to pop the old front seal out. I prefer this way because there's no risk of scoring the shaft.

TonyB
Jacksonvile, FL
81 Dasher 1.6na