Ever try ATF in your fuel?

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

cinn
Glow Plug

Ever try ATF in your fuel?

Post by cinn »

Hi, I posted this in General VW Diesel section but didn't get direct answers. :(

For pre-TDI engines, folks put ATF in new fuel filters with good results. It is believed to help cleaning and lubing the pump and injectors. I wonder if you ever try this with newer TDI engines. Pumps are different and with more electronic sensors in TDI. Will ATF mess up the parts and probably produce false alarms in TDI engines?
1994 Caravelle T4 1.9TD
Sissy engines use spark plugs
Turbo Diesel, the real Macho
Flatlander
Glow Plug

RE: Ever try ATF in your fuel?

Post by Flatlander »

What results were claimed?

SAE and ISO labs have both run tests on using ATF as an additive, and found little to no benefit. They did not determine if any short or longterm damage would result from it's use.

However, if you drive in the country and happen upon an inquisitive State Trooper, you'll find yourself initially with a hefty fine for using off road diesel in your car (off road is dyed red), and then when you explain your way out of that one in court, you can expect a different fine for using non-EPA fuel in the vehicle. We had a neighboring rancher experience the very scenario
Flatlander
Glow Plug

RE: Ever try ATF in your fuel?

Post by Flatlander »

Cinn,

Ooops, I see now that you're in Thailand. Guess you wouldn't have to worry about a State Trooper checking your fuel. The government mandates red dye in fuel used for off road purposes (construction, farming, etc) here in the states as an easy ID tool for authorities. This is done as off road diesel doesn't have all of the taxes that on road does, making it about 60% of pump price.

I still wouldn't mess with ATF as an addidtive. Haven't heard anything good about it, that can be backed up with data.
dieselworld
Glow Plug

Post by dieselworld »

Dont use it!! :shock:

Use a good quality additive that if designed for diesel fuel. Putting ATF in diesel fuel is an "old wives tale" Your engine will burn it, just like it will burn used motor oil or any oil for that matter. However you are getting no benefit in doing so.
D.O.C.I. Doctor of Compression Ignition
WWW.DieselGiant.com

1998 Jetta Tdi 214k
1984 MB 200 D 260k
mycoleptodiscus
Glow Plug

I beg to differ

Post by mycoleptodiscus »

ATF has a high detergent content and acts like an injector cleaner. 1 pint per tank of fuel is just fine in my opinion.
BIGBADBOB
Cetane Booster

Post by BIGBADBOB »

Over at the dodge diesel web site they say not to use ATF as it has friction modifiers in it and is not so good on the IP.
Bob
84 TD Jetta tweaked pump
01 TDI Jetta stock
98 Dodge diesel chip injectors 4in exhaust 325hp 700lbs tq