2010 Jetta TD thermostat question

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

rustedearth
Glow Plug

2010 Jetta TD thermostat question

Post by rustedearth »

I have a 2010 VW jetta turbo diesel that needs to have its thermostat replaced. I removed hoses, tensioner and alternator to get to the housing. I removed the housing, in which I see the thermostat inside, but I dont see any way of changing the actual thermostat without purchasing the entire housing.

Do I need to buy the entire housing or is there some way to pull the thermostat itself out that I'm missing?

Thanks for any help
-Rusted
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: 2010 Jetta TD thermostat question

Post by 82vdub »

Welcome to the forum. I don't know anything this new, but I did find this thread on the TDI forum http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=264619

If the tstat came out with the housing, twisting the tstat should remove it without breaking the tabs off in the houseing. If the tstat stays in the block when you remove the flange without twisting it first, the flange may be damaged. Can you reuse the flange if the tabs are broken off? I would think that you could as long as you could get the tstat in the water pump correctly. Check the thread.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Moving this to the TDI forum.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

Lots of talk about the engine wandering from 160-225F on the 2008+ 2.0 engines, my Passats gauge shows normal even with OBDII showing 220F during regen.
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG