replacing gas engine with tdi

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

kidtortuga
Glow Plug

replacing gas engine with tdi

Post by kidtortuga »

Hi all,

I currently own a 1998 Jetta K2, which I love. I'm really interested in going diesel, both for the increased fuel economy, and also the posibility of running on biodiesel.

I'm wondering about the feasibility/cost of dropping a tdi engine in place of my current gas 2 liter. The gas engine only has about 60k on it, so it ought to be worth a few bucks. Are there used tdi engines out there, or are they pretty hard to come by? Any other major modifications necessary in this scenario? Am I delusional to even think about it?

Any thoughts or input are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Brian Rages
Diesel Freak

Post by Brian Rages »

Do you need to get a regular state inspection with your current gasser? If so, your diesel will likely fail. There's a discussion at http://www.tdiclub.com on a guy who is building a new Passat gasser with a Euro V6 TDI, 6-speed, and all-motion. Apparently, he has the emissions test dodge worked out, or at least he thinks he does.

You will need most of the electrics from the donor vehicle, I think. TDI is an electronic injection pump.

Probably cheaper to sell the current Jetta and buy a TDI of the same age. Whatever you tey, good luck.
kidtortuga
Glow Plug

good to know

Post by kidtortuga »

Hey, thanks Brian. I figured it would be quite the undertaking, but I just really love how my current getta drives. I also like the look of the older body style (pre-1999).

Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between the tdi's made before 1999, and those after?

Thanks.
Brian Rages
Diesel Freak

Post by Brian Rages »

Aside from the obvious difference between the non-drivetrain components of the cars, there's a bit of difference between the "A3" TDI motor and the "A4" (current body style).

A3 - KKK (I think) turbo. A4 - Garrett Variable vane turbo
A3 - reliable Pierburg MAF A4 - unreliable VW (Bosch?) MAF

Lots of other stuff... I think the electrical system on the A4 is more involved. A4's are a bit more powerful. There's a good FAQ at http://www.tdiclub.com that might answer some questions.
off2cthelizard

Cabrio Swap

Post by off2cthelizard »

Hello All,

This is a question I was going to post, so it's a good thing I started to read the old posts.

I am looking to swap out the motor in my '92 Cabrio for a diesel, so I can satisfy my inner tree-hugger and run the thing on veggie-oil. Are there any suggestions as to what engine to look for, or if you've done this before am I nuts for even contemplating this? This would be my ultimate car, so the chances of talking me out of it are slim. Thanks everyone.
Welly

GAS/DIESEL

Post by Welly »

To convert to diesel there are so many little things besides the engine to be replaced, such as fuel tank lines, relays.
You better off buying a Diesel from a Junk yard or from someone selling one with a lot of miles , then replace the engine.
The new MK5s 2004 later have a TDI PD engine ( Pump Deuse) there is no visible injection pump nor injectors.It does require a special type of oil.

Weldas@msn.com
Piper106
Cetane Booster

Post by Piper106 »

Another place to look is vwvortex.com in the technical section they have a hybrid / swap forum. Go back to the fall of 2003 and the spring of 2004 and look at the multiple posts from "Mr.Dave" who put a TDI (with the full electronic computer control) in his Rabbit (A1) truck. Like all computer controlled engine swaps, not for the faint of heart, nor the electrically squemish. "Mr.Dave" says he is VW tech, and it took him five months to complete the swap. As far as the TDI into the other A2 and A3 era VW chasis, that has also been covered in the vortex forum.

Now the other way to go is to swap a mechanical controlled injection pump onto the TDI engine. Best place for info on that is vwdiesel.net / TDI forum. Wiring much simpler, but now injection pump stuff to sort out.

That is all I think I know.

Piper106
electrycmonk
Glow Plug

Post by electrycmonk »

Piper106 wrote:Another place to look is vwvortex.com in the technical section they have a hybrid / swap forum. Go back to the fall of 2003 and the spring of 2004 and look at the multiple posts from "Mr.Dave" who put a TDI (with the full electronic computer control) in his Rabbit (A1) truck. Like all computer controlled engine swaps, not for the faint of heart, nor the electrically squemish. "Mr.Dave" says he is VW tech, and it took him five months to complete the swap. As far as the TDI into the other A2 and A3 era VW chasis, that has also been covered in the vortex forum.

Now the other way to go is to swap a mechanical controlled injection pump onto the TDI engine. Best place for info on that is vwdiesel.net / TDI forum. Wiring much simpler, but now injection pump stuff to sort out.

That is all I think I know.

Piper106
okay i feel the newbie "DOH!" about to occur... so greetings as I've just registered this late evening....

i wandered about that forum you talked about and somehow didn't find the thread..... I must admit that i haven't registered there yet... maybe that's why?

anywho.... I'll go look at the ".net" site when i get up in the AM.....

would you be willing/able to drop a link in this thread for the mega-multi posting thread of "mrDave?" for me please?

I'm not new to forums.... as an older member of a subaru group since...ummm, '98. :)

to reduce redundancy I'll stop now.
a haiku for sig
may not do this realm justice
but it works for now
Piper106
Cetane Booster

Post by Piper106 »

The vortex series on the TDI into A1 chassis swap starts at; forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=778864 in the hybrid and swap forum of the technical section of vortex. Initial post date was 4-1/2003. vortex. Poster was "MrDave".

There where like 14 threads total in that series over the next 6 months or so. In the later posts there are links back to the initial posts.

Hope that helps finding that threads.

Piper106