2005 A5 2.0 16V TDI?

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

JRM
Turbo Charger

2005 A5 2.0 16V TDI?

Post by JRM »

While reading about the new A5 body style and such, i came across a article about the new 4 valve per cyclinder 2.0 TDI! Sounds SWEET, is it headed to the states?
Joe
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG

Post by Guest »

Don't know about the peformance of new A5 but we just bought an A4 2004 TDI PD and are extemely impressed with this car. The TDI PD engine has nothing in common with the TDI engines to 2003 except that the bore size is 1.9 litre. This new technology gives you max torque at 1200 rpm (177 ft/lbs) and the exhaust does not even smell like diesel, combustion is so complete. The clatter of diesel is almost gone - much lower than the TDI engine. So far we have found that we can get it up to 100 Km per hour in third gear with revs only hitting 2700 RPM. Let me tell you it snaps your head back when you do this - tons of power. With normal driving at 100 KPH in 5th gear the engine hums at 2000 RPM. Still on our first tank of diesel but looks like we will get the 61 miles per gallon as promised. It is a fantastic car. Here in Canada we paid $28,000 CDN and the car was loaded. 200 watt Monsoon stereo, power windows remote door lock, A/C, tinted windows, sun roof, ABS disc brakes front and rear, all the nice stuff and they even threw in a VW solar charger to keep the battery topped up in winter. I have heard that they are going to the new 2.0 litre TDI PD for the A5 but as far as I am concerned - this car is perfect - plenty of power , quick off the start, plenty of pedal at highway speeds with no downshifts into 4th to pass quickly on the highway, no diesel smell, quiet and it really does sip diesel.
Happy TDI PD owner.
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

what year did they start useing this PD engine, sounds sweet. It is 2 or 4 valves per cylinder, and does it use pilot injection?
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG

Multi valve

Post by Guest »

Multivalve in a Diesel engine does not mean much. I got a 2005 PD. It is awesome.
The passat offers a 2.0 but not 16 Valves.
g4tdi

pd diesel

Post by g4tdi »

The TDI PD motor has been ripping around Europe for most of the MkIV body style years. The most potent combo is the car that can run with R32 Golfs the 2003 Euro TDI GT Golf it had the 2.0 PD putting out (if you believe usually conservative VW figures) the same power output as the current Passat 2.0PD. I do not remember if the car was all wheel drive, if it wasn't imagine the unintentional burnouts with 236lb-ft of torque at 1900 rpm. :twisted:

eric f
2000 Golf GL TDI 158,000+ miles just brakes, oil and timing belts
2000 Jetta GLS 2.Slow 73,000+ miles and I hate it still
2005 Mazda 3 SP23 Edition-got rid of a crappy 2004 Mini Cooper for it