Problem with transmission on Golf TDI

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

JohnCC
Glow Plug

Problem with transmission on Golf TDI

Post by JohnCC »

This is not TDI specific, so maybe I'd be better in the other forum?

The question is regarding out newly acquired 2000 Golf TDI (90hp) w/ 50,000 miles on the clock (full VW history). There is a problem with it, which hopefully the dealer who sold it will sort out, but I'd like some opinions on what it might be.

The symptom is that the transmission jumps out third gear occasionally, and less frequently, out of first gear. It always does this as you are letting the clutch in (it never jumps out when you are just driving along). It is an intermittent problem, not every time. You do not need to be under load, or making a quick change, for it to happen. I've had it pop out of third when coasting up to a junction, after a very leisurely change.

I looked through old service papers. At about 47,000 miles there is a note along the lines of "Could not produce jumping out of first gear. No problem found".

At about 49,000 there is a note "Could not produce problem jumping out of first gear. Linkage checked, found to be very worn and on limit. Linkage adjusted."

Do you think this just a linkage problem? Why would it wear so quickly?

Any advice appreciated! I want to be forearmed with knowledge before tackling the dealer.
'01 Mk4 VW Golf Estate 1.9 TDI (90hp)
coke

Post by coke »

I would say its a linkage problem, not getting the transmission fully engaged into gear all the time. Take it to the dealer and request to have all the linkage checked / and / or replaced.
JohnCC
Glow Plug

Post by JohnCC »

Thanks Coke - I took it back to the car trader I bought it from, and they sorted it out. Apparently the linkage was badly worn. The problem is gone, and the gear change actually is much improved too.
'01 Mk4 VW Golf Estate 1.9 TDI (90hp)