2002 VW Golf TDI

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

2002 VW Golf TDI

Post by Guest »

78,000 Miles, the only maintenance I have done is oil changes, fuel filters, tires, other misc. filters.
I had a slight squeeking/cherping problem at very low speeds. Upon inspecting front brakes I noticed that roters were scored, however a decent about of pad left. So I ordered Brembo rotors and a set of Pagid brake pads. I Installed and went good, braking is MUCH better but cherping/squeeking, seems worse.????

I have not yet checked back brakes yet. I have a good third party manul. And seems that back brakes are MUCH more difficult? It says that if you replace the back rotors you have to readjust parking brake. Also recommends a special tool to reset the caliper, by rotating it clockwise 1/4 turn. However I have been told that I don't need a special tool a set of vise grips will work?

Any suggestions, Please?

Much thanks in advance

Post by Guest »

no suggestion in re brakes, but you'd better start checking your timing belt too... it could be VERY due. Don't just check the surface of the belt either.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

rear calipers

Post by Fatmobile »

I messed with some rear disc brakes on a '98 Jetta.
With most calipers, I can just press them back in with a c-clamp.
With these I had to turn them as I pressed them in.
I heard there are parts places that rent or lend the proper tool.
I think it can be turned with a set of channel locks ... turn it and tighten the c-clamp ... if they are still doing things the same way on your car.
To be honest we messed up the first one we did. Just tried to press it in (before we read directions).
It worked well on the second attempt though.