Estimated Life of a TDI Diesel

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

nhpi99
Glow Plug

Estimated Life of a TDI Diesel

Post by nhpi99 »

I am considering buying a 1997 Passat TDI DIESEL with 212,000 miles on it..It is a one owner car and has been well maintained.
Is 212,000 towards the end of it's useful life?

Bill

Post by Guest »

No. A well maintained TDI can easily last 300k plus. Be sure of the timing belt change date. If the timing belt fails, the engine is toast. Might be a good time to change the water pum as well.
stefano

life

Post by stefano »

i have now 425000km on my 98 jetta. I have not have any real big problems. Just change the oil and filters in the car and it should run for a very long time. I have different injector, chip and a cat back with no cat since 183200km. It works great with all this power to.
DKone
Cetane Booster

Remember when you were 20 yo...?

Post by DKone »

If it is really well maintained, probably that car is in apretty good shape
Moonstone
Cetane Booster

life expectancy?

Post by Moonstone »

Hey guys;

I was at a local shop recently, and saw an early 80's model Rabbit diesel.The thing had nearly 800,000 Km on it. It it did have the rings and valve seats done it, but thats it, other than regular maintenance.

Moonstone
Perry

Engine life

Post by Perry »

Hello TDI owners! I own 2 TDI's. One is a 1999 and the other is a 2003. The 1999 is used for sales and deliveries. We have 657,000 Km on it. The engine is running great. Other than the standard where an tear items, there is nothing that has gone wrong with the engine. One thing we noticed is that the odometer resets to 000000 after 300,000KM Kilometers in Canada). It has zero'd twice!.. The only problem we encounter is the cold weather starts. Gas line antifreeze is required as well as fuel conditioner.
'01 Bora TDI
Glow Plug

Post by '01 Bora TDI »

With the way the SULPHUR is being taken out of our fuel these days, everybody should be using a fuel additive per tank anyway.

Great mileage story on your TDI.

TB
01 Bora TDI-18" PES wheels, HR sports, Bilsteins, Techtonics 2.5" exhaust, 2.5" downpipe, Piper Cross Viper, Upsolute Chip, Euro light switch, OEM HID's, Factory levelers, boost gauge, filter, Oettinger roof spoiler,
dieselpower
Cetane Booster

Post by dieselpower »

Sunoco gold diesel no need for antifreeze or conditioners plus the benefits
of quieter engine noise and added pep.whooha. :twisted:

Post by Guest »

...and if the dealer can't prove that the timing belt has been changed, you'd better assume it hasn't been.... or is that year passat a non-interference job?

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:...and if the dealer can't prove that the timing belt has been changed, you'd better assume it hasn't been.... or is that year passat a non-interference job?
If its a diesel, you can be sure that it is an interference engine.
dieselworld
Glow Plug

Post by dieselworld »

My 98 Jetta has almost 215k miles on it. Just barely broken in. :shock:
D.O.C.I. Doctor of Compression Ignition
WWW.DieselGiant.com

1998 Jetta Tdi 214k
1984 MB 200 D 260k
g4tdi

mileage

Post by g4tdi »

Just to throw my bit in I have a 2000 Golf GL with well over 158,000 miles on the clock. No major problems except I was the guy who discovered the rear brake problem with the 2000 MY MkIV cars.

At 20,000 miles and 40,000 miles the pads went to dust siezing the calipers to the rotors. The funny thing was that was 3 and 6 months into the model year so no dealer had experienced it before. Try convincing your service guy you don't drive with the e-brake on sometime it's loads of fun.

eric f

2000 Golf GL TDI 158,000 + I love it still
2000 Jetta GLS 2.Slow 76,000+ at least it has power windows
2005 Mazda 3 SP23 got rid of a Mini for it–says alot about BMW and Mazda

Post by Guest »

I have 210,000 on my oo golf tdi no major problems. I have always driven the car to its limits with no problems other than one relay and 2 maf's.