Replacement of Glow plug

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

christchyt
Glow Plug

Replacement of Glow plug

Post by christchyt »

I have an engine light on that is for one of my glow plugs. I'm going to use a temperature sensor to figure out which one it is. I have a 2000 jetta TDI, how do I know what size to order, and if I have a glow plug heater? Also, is there a torque value for the glow plugs? should I replace all glow plugs, there is about 75,000 miles on the engine. Thanks. :)
MayorDJQ
Diesel Freak

Post by MayorDJQ »

If your car is a 5 speed, you have the coolant heater, if auto, no coolant heater.

You really don't even need a temp sensor. If you have a multi tester, that will work just fine. Or even a test light if you have that. Remove the GP harness. If you use a test light, connect it to the positive bat terminal, and then touch it to the top of each GP. If the GP is good, the light should come on. If not, you've found the bad one(s).

If you have a multi tester, use the resistence setting. Each GP should have .5 to 1.0 ohms. If they're out of that range, they're bad.

My Golf is an '01, and I recently found that I have 2 bad GPs, so I ordered four. Hopefully they'll arrive before the weather gets too much colder.

15Nm/11ft-lb for the GPs.