2002 Golf TDI - Won't start

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

deezldawg

2002 Golf TDI - Won't start

Post by deezldawg »

Hello all,
I haven't seen anything like this posted so I hope someone can help.
A year ago, right after the first cold snap in R.I., I had to have my TDI
towed to the dealer because it wouldn't start. To make a long story short,
they discovered that mice had nested in the car and had chewed pin holes
in the fuel return line. They seem to find the plastic appettizing. Now, a year later, right after the first cold snap,
I have the same problem, the car won't start. The first thing I did was to
flip down the rear seat, remove the plate that covers the fuel lines entering the fuel tank, and lo and behold, there was a pile of D-CON rat
poison that I had been putting around the garage. The mice had made quite a storage pile on top of the fuel tank. I believe I need to pull the
fuel line off and check for chew marks and holes. How do these fuel lines
disconnect? Is it something a somewhat capable, mechanically inclined
person can handle? I do my own oil / fuel filter changes but I'm not sure
what the trick is to remove, replace these lines.
Thanks for any input.
srivett
Turbo Charger

Post by srivett »

Rat poison can be a bit of a problem. What if the rats die inside your walls? You'll have a real big stink, that's what will happen! hehe

Good luck, Steve
1992 4-door Golf 1.6l
Currently 418K and climbing :)
MayorDJQ
Diesel Freak

Post by MayorDJQ »

This trick works for mice, so it should work for rats.

Get some moth balls, and sprinkle them in a flat cardboard box like cans of soda or beer come in, or a few pie pans. Put one on your garage floor under where your engine is usually and another toward the back. When you park you car, the heat will get the moth ball fumes moving around and keep the rodents away.
DaveH
Cetane Booster

leak in tank

Post by DaveH »

I have a fuel leak only when I fill the tank, There was a mouse nest right under the access cover with chew marks on the tank. I'm only filling it to 3/4 now, so I can't tell my mpg's. The little buggers made the nest from the hood insulation, so there is a hole in that too. I've read that I need to remove the back axle to take out the tank, anyone out there done this on an a4 jetta? DaveH