starting problems

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

starting problems

Post by Guest »

hello
i have my car already two years and since now everything was ok.
actually not ok it started to eat oil, so i find out that oil bearings are broken so ichanged all bearings and compresion become higher and no problem with oil.

but before changing all this it apper problem with starting, so i was thinking about nozzles, so i changed them also.

the starting problem still egsist but it is to push car 2 meters and everything working nice when engine is warm

in the mornings it making much white smoke untill all cilinders starting sounding nicely.

who the hell it can be with this car

must i change diesel pump, it is driven just 250000km

thank you for any offer
coke

Post by coke »

I would check the glow plugs.. sounds like incomplete or inefficient combustion on cold start up.
vaikis
Glow Plug

Post by vaikis »

hello

actually i checked and cylinder leakdown and plugs, and also i took off plug sensor cable and i am heating them 2 times before startup. when engine warm i can start that easily but after night this is impossible without pushing it.

so i feel like 500 hundred years ago that i need to push car when it is gold

maybe i must change the pump
how i must check if it making enough pressure because after pushing and starting it seems that just 2 or 3 cilinders are working and after start all 5
coke

Post by coke »

It could be the injection pump, but it still could be the glow plugs.. if they are taking a longer time to warm up then stock that could cause your starting problem. I have tried the cylcing the glow plugs two to three times before starting and I see no difference in them at all, because they all get as hot before the light goes out. You can always take it to a VW Stealership and have them plug it in and see whats going on.
vaikis
Glow Plug

Post by vaikis »

hello

yesterday i tryied to change fuel filter and i found that it is just half of it of fuel

so maybe because of that it is difficult to start

Post by Guest »

Excessive white smoke at startup also points at retarded timing.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

fuel filter

Post by Fatmobile »

It's common to have a filter full of air.
If the filter isn't clogged, fuel will pull through but air has a hard time being pulled through a diesel soaked paper element.
As the filter becomes more clogged air will eventually get pulled through.
That's why people with a clear line before their filter will notice air coming out of the filter and heading back toward the tank after shutdown.