TDI engine question

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

deborahdp
Glow Plug

TDI engine question

Post by deborahdp »

I did the unthinkable. We drove my wonderful 98 TDI from Maine to Florida last year without changing the oil. After returning, I started using oil and it got worse. To make a long story short, I need to replace the engine. My question is, do I have the engine rebuilt, do I buy a rebuilt engine or have a new one put in. Is it worth while having other parts put in while the car is apart? It has 160,000 miles on it but I know it has a lot more life. I am leaning towards having the dealer do the work because there is a guarantee, but they want to sell me a new car and don't seem like they really want to do the work, although they will. They are not really forthcoming with information, they tell me what I "could do" but only in response to my questions. Help. Would like information-adivce from people that are on my side and have experience with these cars. :(

Re: TDI engine question

Post by Guest »

deborahdp wrote:I did the unthinkable. We drove my wonderful 98 TDI from Maine to Florida last year without changing the oil. After returning, I started using oil and it got worse. To make a long story short, I need to replace the engine. My question is, do I have the engine rebuilt, do I buy a rebuilt engine or have a new one put in. Is it worth while having other parts put in while the car is apart? It has 160,000 miles on it but I know it has a lot more life. I am leaning towards having the dealer do the work because there is a guarantee, but they want to sell me a new car and don't seem like they really want to do the work, although they will. They are not really forthcoming with information, they tell me what I "could do" but only in response to my questions. Help. Would like information-adivce from people that are on my side and have experience with these cars. :(
Just a clarification question: I think I'm missing something in regard to driving Maine-to-Fla without changing oil - why would that matter?...as long as it is within an interval suitable for the oil you use.

Maybe, for my benefit anyway, give some more details? -especially in regard to what is wrong, and what kind of $$ each of your two options is going to cost you (according to your dealer). It just sounds a little fishy on your dealer's part.

160K is just "broken-in" for these engines when they're maintained properly, so I'd be tempted to deflect their pressure to buy new - only buy new if you want new.
deborahdp
Glow Plug

clarification

Post by deborahdp »

I use a reputable auto repair business in my town. The Maine-Florida trip occurred at the end of my oil change period, my garage was closed for vacation. None of the quick lube businesses will do a deisel in this area. I didn't think of the dealer because I usually don't use them and they are out of town. I planned on getting the oil changed in Florida, although overdue it would be better than nothing. Well, it didn't happen, hind-sight is always 20-20.

What I am surmising is that my mechanic, who I believe is honest and has a good reputation, may not be well versed with deisels or foreign cars, I don't know which. He told me the white smoke and oil use was because my turbo was failing. He quoted me $900 plus labor ($1400). I was going to have him do it but he has been dragging his feet getting the new turbo in to do the job. In the mean time I took the car to the dealer because my airbag light came on and he couldn't resolved that. While at the dealer, I asked for an opinion on the turbo, since the car was obviously burning oil (a lot of white smoke when it starts). They had the car for half a day and their findings were that the turbo was working correctly but was oil soaked. They found exessive blowby of the engine and are recommending an engine job. They are quoting $3000 for the parts and 12-14 hours of labor for a remanufactured bottom half of the motor. I have been getting advise that I could have the engine rebuilt, I could buy a remanufactured engine or I could buy a new one. Is a "bottom half" a common thing to do? Also, I sometimes have some resistance getting the car in first gear first thing in the morning, should I have them look at the clutch while they are in there or will they do that automatically. The dealer is saying he didn't think it was worth putting that kind of money into the car, but it is paid for and fortunately I can pay for the repair without a loan but I don't want to throw money away.

Additionally, I don't know what kind of oil my mechanic has been using in my car, but should I be insisting on a certain type or grade from now on. I appreciate any advise or tips I can get in dealing with this.
srivett
Turbo Charger

Post by srivett »

Did you run low on oil at some point during the trip? You should be able to stretch the oil out to well over 10,000 miles. Especially if you've been changing it more frequently before the extended run. I've seen people running 15,000 miles on synthetic but it helps to change the oil filter half way through if you are going that far.

It is common to change the clutch with the engine. It wouldn't be worth it if you were going to sell the car but if you want to go another 160K and you're a rough shifter like me you'll be happy you changed it now.

I think you should phone or email Jack (the owner of this site) as this is right up his alley. His prices are competitive and more importantly his service is excellent.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the value of the car. If you want to keep it until it is a pile of rust you will get your money's worth and more. In my eyes a car is nothing more than a way to get to work. As long as it is safe and costs less than a lease I'll continue to drive it. If you are concerned about status and being seen in a new car it probably isn't worth putting a new engine in.

Good luck, Steve
1992 4-door Golf 1.6l
Currently 418K and climbing :)
deborahdp
Glow Plug

My Diesel

Post by deborahdp »

Steve, Thanks for your reply. I found the car was low on oil when I returned from the trip. I think I found someone locally that knows diesels, Reid Diesel Mechanics in Skowhegan, Maine. They work on trucks and some cars and have agreed to take a look at mine. They said you can always fix a motor but at this point couldn't tell the extent of the problem, they said it may be extensive but maybe not, but the car definately has blowby. I'm releaved to have a diesel mechanic doing the job. He mentioned the clutch while he is in there so he must be thinking along the same lines.

This is the third diesel I've had but have never had a serious problem before. My last was an 80 Rabbit (I think) and I ran it well into the 90's. The body fell apart but it ran like a clock. I'm a believer.