96, 97, 98 Passat TDI

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

steve
Turbo Charger

96, 97, 98 Passat TDI

Post by steve »

Since the recent demise of my 84 quantum TD I'm considering a 96, 97 or 98 Passat TDI. Mid size, good MPG, inexpensive price.

Do all TDI have an intercooler?

Is there anything I should look for or avoid when deciding on one of these years? Or should I go for a jetta instead?

Would it be the A2 engine? Is there any of them that I should avoid?

Do I need to worry about the future of the engine since they're chainging to the low sulfer fuel?

Thanks,
1984 VW Quantum 1.6 TD 470,000 miles
2003 Jetta TDI 95K
Piper106
Cetane Booster

Post by Piper106 »

Only the 1996 and 1997 B4 series Passats have the diesel engine option. In 1998 that changed to the new B5 chassis that does not offer a diesel in the US.

All the TDIs have intercoolers. The Passat TDI use the same long block as the 1998 to 1999.5 Jettas. This is a diiferent long block than the A4 chassis cars (New Beetle, Golf, and Jetta since 1999.5).

There has been talk (key word) about the coming ultra low sulfur diesel fuel having less lubricity and therefore injection pump wear. Owners in areas that already have this fuel, like southern California, and Chicago area do not report any injection pump issues. If it is a concern, most diesel fuel treatments, such as Power Service, contain additives to increase the lubricity of the fuel.

You really also want to go to tdiclub.com. They have forum sections just for the 96, 97 diesel Passat and its maintenance.

Piper106