glowplug bridge - replacement/install

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

guest - bb

glowplug bridge - replacement/install

Post by guest - bb »

2000 vw golf tdi. Check engine light came on... dealer diagnostic indicated "bridge" needed replacement. Bridge is the wiring harness/glow plug electrical component.

dealer is indicating the replacement part is 028971766. OEM part is 038971220. Problem is the replacement part's two electrical leads are 3 to 4 inches shorter than original.

Dealer's service department, when I asked, says they are cutting off connectors of replacement part and "splicing" the wires together. Seems like a counterproductive "rig" fix to me. Any experience or source of a part that has original spec.s.

HELP

Brian - Michigan
coke

Post by coke »

Apparently this is a common problem with the TDIs.. the check engine light also comes on when a glowplug fails, I've also heard they come on when you have a light out on your car. Not entirely sure. I'm pretty sure the wiring harness replacement is the cure for your problem. It also appears VW hasn't released a TSB to correct this problem. Probably because it costs too much.
Piper106
Cetane Booster

Post by Piper106 »

Unlike the older VW diesels, on the TDIs the connection from the glow plug harness to the glow plugs is only a push on terminal, a lot like a spark plug wire on most cars. A little bit of trouble with the connection at this point will throw the check engine light (CEL).

You might want to go over to TDIClub.com the forum for A4 chassis maintenance. We've pretty well trampled this one to death over there, but here is the Readers Digest version.

First, if you don't mind the CEL, do nothing. It seems that the contact can be bad enough to throw the CEL, but it is still good enough to glow and start in zero degree F or colder weather. I have this problem and CEL on my 2001 New Beetle, and so far I've made through this Detroit winter. Second try a good electrical contact cleaner on the terminals (DeOxit D5 has been recommended). We have seen some burnt out glow plugs, so check them with a ohm meter, they all need to around 1.0 to 1.5 ohms. Finally replace the harness. The way the dealer says is the right way to go if you replace the harness.

Piper106
Diesel_Rabbit
Diesel Freak

check engine light

Post by Diesel_Rabbit »

Problem is that car will not pass saftey inspection with check engine light, no matter what it is. May not apply to all U.S. states.

I only know because 03 failed inspection yesterday because of this.