timing belt and setting timing

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

Brad M
Glow Plug

timing belt and setting timing

Post by Brad M »

Hi, I changed my timing belt yesterday. It was due. What propted me to change it was when I took my daughter to her moms about 500k my car started smoking a bit. It was missing a little at idle so I figured the belt may have stretched. I changed the belt and set the timing and i thought i did it right. It is running real ruff and smoking. I am going to plug it in to warm it up for starting again this morning but i was wondering if there might be something else wrong. I put injector cleaner in it and only ran it for a half hour before shutting down to do the belt.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

kind of car

Post by Fatmobile »

What kind/year car are you working on?
Put it in your signature when you get a chance.
Does the crank pully feel loose?
Intercooler lines clogged with soot and oil?
MayorDJQ
Diesel Freak

Post by MayorDJQ »

If it's a TDI, you need to have a computer with VAG COM software to set the timing properly. Timing it isn't as simple as the older IDIs.
81rabbit
Diesel Freak

setting timing manually with idi timing tools?

Post by 81rabbit »

Actually Jack mentions on his site (from the home page click on the picture of the white A3 jetta a little down from the top on the right side)

or just click here
Injection Pump Timing Setting
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We have found, after speaking to the main Bosch Repair Center,
you may set injection pump timing using the lift method. This is
the same way the older VW's were set. You can do this with a
mechanical adapter, and gauge. This eliminates having to go
to VW to pay for the expense of having the car hooked up to
the computer.
I don't know the details but I'd me interested to learn more about this...

I haven't started working on the tdi I picked up yet (timing belt broke) but I'd be interesting in comparing this method with a vag-com and see what it looks like...

-J
coke

Post by coke »

You should be able to call a Bosch repair center and have them give you the timing specs for the TDI. I imagine since they are direct injection the vary quite a bit from the IDI. I haven't seen the TDI pump but if Jack says it can be done, it can be done.
MayorDJQ
Diesel Freak

Post by MayorDJQ »

I don't know about the A3, as I own and A4 TDI. Paying VW isn't really necessary, as VAG COM software is available from RossTech. I would suspect that setting it with the software would be more accurate, as it takes all the variables into account, fuel temp, lift, etc.

There are lots of people who have purchased the software and cable. Mine has already paid for itself, as it's no longer necessary to pay to have the car scanned when the check engine light comes on. www.tdiclub.com has a list of people with VagCom that are willing to help other VW owners out.

Post by Guest »

Thanks guys but I got the problem licked. I think the old belt had sliped a tooth and I was setting back on that tooth timing. I retarded it a tooth and set the timing by ear. It has hugh power compared to before and starts better. in cooler weather. Before it wouldn't start in 0 degree weather without cold start. Now it runs like a dream. It is a 93 golf 1.9 TD.

thanks for the input though!!!