03 Jetta Glow Plug Issue..need to vent!

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

Diesel_Rabbit
Diesel Freak

03 Jetta Glow Plug Issue..need to vent!

Post by Diesel_Rabbit »

Is $420 a reasonable price to charge to replace 4 glow plugs on an 03 Jetta, plus $140 to read the engine diagnostic code from computer? I did not think so and told them I would do it myself for about $50. I think it is absolutely outrageous and will be not going back to this VW dealership.

And they did not really explain the initial $140 charge just for the code and I plan to contest it when I pick up car, but know I will lose on it.

I only brought it to a dealership because the car was just purchased out of state and they were willing to reimburse me with the understanding this would be a quick and inexspensive fix.

They are going to change timing belt for around $400.

I hate stealerships!

Post by Guest »

You should contact Herm Pasker in Raymond Maine for TDI maintenence. Very fair and incredible knowledge on TDI's

HermTDI [hermtdi@yahoo.com]
MayorDJQ
Diesel Freak

Post by MayorDJQ »

$420 to change the GPs is absolutey ridiculous. GPs cost about $12 each, depending where you get them. If you know how to change a spark plug, you should be able to change a GP. Time wise....depending how mechanical you are, maybe 1 hour to change them. You have to remove the electrical bridge, which can be a little tricky sometimes, but the boots pop off just like spark plug wires. It also helps if you remove the black plastic vacuum ball.

$140 to read the codes is insane. tdiclub.com has a list of people with VAG-COM, you should be able to find someone near you who will check your codes for you.

As the other poster metions, contact Herm for the TB job. $400 for the TB job is very cheap. Sounds-too-good-to-be-true sort of cheap. It sounds like it's for a partial job: a new TB and tensioner only plus labor. No water pump, no new rollers, no new serp belt.

Yes!

Post by Guest »

I could not agree with you more.[V]