Strange TDI question

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

tssmith2002
Glow Plug

Strange TDI question

Post by tssmith2002 »

Hello,

I have been lurking here for a while and I have been reading posts on this forum as well as over at TheSamba.com to learn more about VW diesels.

I have a line on a good price for what I am told is a 1991 Jetta "TDI" engine. My reading sources on the Net seem to say that 1993 is the first year for the TDI engine, but I can't tell what engine this would be. Some sources seem to say that the ECOdiesel was available and in rare supply but nothing I can find says what engines were available

My question is for the 1990, 91 and 92 model years; what diesel engines were available? I am looking for a true turbo motor since my ulimate application is a 1983 diesel Vanagon that I have my eye on.

Is there a source that breaks down by year what engines and transmissions were available in what model?

Thank you for your time
Todd Smith
dieselworld
Glow Plug

Post by dieselworld »

The "tdi" engine first came to the US shores in 1997. I believe that included North America. The 1991 engine is NOT a Tdi. It is an ID or Indirect ignition. Tdi's claim to fame is the computer control of the injection pump and direct injection bla bla bla. The eco diesel was available in Canada for a few years and is NOT the same engine. I believe the eco was a 1.6l. All NA Tdi's were 1.9l. VW has many different flavors of TDi in different displacements but not in NA :(
D.O.C.I. Doctor of Compression Ignition
WWW.DieselGiant.com

1998 Jetta Tdi 214k
1984 MB 200 D 260k
tssmith2002
Glow Plug

Post by tssmith2002 »

Thanks DieselWorld,

I believe that this is 1.6L motor but I was wondering in North America did any VW product ship with the 1.6L true turbo motor? I believe that the limited run of Ecodiesels were true turbo but they seem rare.

I am just researching possible engine swaps for an 83 diesel vanagon.

Thanks

Todd Smith
wild3bill
Cetane Booster

Kelley bluebook

Post by wild3bill »

"Is there a source that breaks down by year what engines and transmissions were available in what model?"
I use cars.com calssified ad collection which links to kelley bluebook. The bluebook shows engine and transmission options as they affect used car price calculation
Wild3Bill
Lower Hudson Valley NY
2011 BMW 335d turbo Diesel
2003 Golf GLS TDi in the shop
1998 TDi Bug in the back yard
81 Rabbit Pickup " " "
97 ChevyK2500 . 6.5TD 4
John Deere 455
Koubota BX24 Diesel lawn mower w/back hoe & loader
tssmith2002
Glow Plug

Post by tssmith2002 »

Thanks Wild Bill,

I will check that out and see if I can find the information that I am looking for. I hadn't thought to check something like Kelly's.

This is a great forum!

Todd Smith <todd.smith@camc.org>