95 Golf CL TDI Timing

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

GERRY

95 Golf CL TDI Timing

Post by GERRY »

Help!
On my way to the big city this morning, my harmonic balancer bolt decided to break in the crankshaft. It wrecked the timing belt gear and of course the bolt. I easily removed the bolt and used the belt gear off an 85 1.6 motor. Now I don't really want to try timing it because there dosen't seem to be any markings on any of the pulley's. I live miles from anywhere and really need to get this running . Anyone out there that could help fix my 95 Golf TDI,thank's.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

timing gear

Post by Fatmobile »

Your pistons might have hit your valves and bent them.
Hate to give you bad news like that but there's a good chance your head will need rebuilt.
veggy ben
Glow Plug

Post by veggy ben »

Alright, your problem was vw's main brain fart on this engine. They upgraded the balancer and doubled the weight, but didn't upgrade the crank or the crank bolt to be able to handle the extra weight. Do a search under the idi forum as this engine is idi and look for crank bolt. If you are lucky valves and pistons are your only concern, but thats really lucky. Reality says a new head will probably be needed, but hey, there have been many lucky people before you. Sorry to break the bad news, but do a bit of searching and you will find out you are not the only person with this problem.

Ben