Fuel injection pump needs to be replaced

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

teresaest
Glow Plug

Fuel injection pump needs to be replaced

Post by teresaest »

I have a 98 Jetta TDI with 110,000 miles and the fuel injection pump needs to be replaced. I was quoted about $2K but I could possibly check for a used one at a junk yard. The pump is currently leaking fuel and if I drive the car, eventually the kerosene in the diesel fuel will cause a hole in the coolant hose below. Otherwise, the car has been great to me. Do you recommend I fix the car to keep or sell, or should I just sell it as is? I appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks for your help.

Terri (from New Jersey)
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Maybe another (better) mechanic could fix the leak on the pump without replacing it. Or maybe a mechanic could take off the pump and you could send it to a Bosch service center for repair then have it reinstalled. Certainly that must be cheaper than 2k.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
Clydesdale
Glow Plug

Post by Clydesdale »

Injector pumps are selling new, on eBay, for $400.
jkeiffer_gearhead
Turbo Charger

Post by jkeiffer_gearhead »

what are the Numbers on the injection pump, I have a brand new one that i would like to get rid of if the numbers match up for you we could work something out.

later
Justin
www.archeryprostaffmi.com
1985 GMC pickup 4x4 lift kit and runs 14.625 @ 91mph
1982 VW rabbit pickup 1.6L just rebuilt, 100mm cv's, 02A transmission
1997 Geo Tracker 1.9 TDI-M, variable gate turbo, Giles Pump
dnsr40
Glow Plug

Post by dnsr40 »

Justin,
what pump do you have and how much do you want....i have the "1Z" 1.9 TDI in a 96 passat......i would be interested in the pump
jkeiffer_gearhead
Turbo Charger

Post by jkeiffer_gearhead »

dnsr40,

shoot me a private message and we will figure out if my pump will work for you. I have it at my parents place which i am going there this weekend and i can get the numbers for you and pictures

later
Justin
www.archeryprostaffmi.com
1985 GMC pickup 4x4 lift kit and runs 14.625 @ 91mph
1982 VW rabbit pickup 1.6L just rebuilt, 100mm cv's, 02A transmission
1997 Geo Tracker 1.9 TDI-M, variable gate turbo, Giles Pump