Advice on Buying 2005 Jetta TDI

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

McRoth
Glow Plug

Advice on Buying 2005 Jetta TDI

Post by McRoth »

I'm looking at an 05 Jetta TDI, 5 spd manual that is for sale locally. They're only asking $6,500 for it too! That seems a little low to me. What should I look for in this car in the way of problems?
Would you guys recommend this car? I haven't owned a VW before, only 123 series Mercedes diesels, which I like, but I drive 700-800 miles a week & need something with better mileage.

Well, thanks for any tips!

Mike
McRoth
Glow Plug

Post by McRoth »

OK, nevermind. Looks like a one of those overseas scams. I just got a reply back that this person moved to London with the car, but due to emissions regs & personal stuff she needs to sell it in the states because no one would buy it there. Seems like one of those deals where you send them the money & they supposedly ship it to you, but you never get the car & they get to keep your money!

Oh well, too good to be true.
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

beware, drownded hurricane cars are out and about.
My friend sank his ford exporer being stupid on the boat ramp... talk about long term damage, even after we changed all the oils, blead the brakes he is haveing issues with hard to reach parts like speedo cables ratteling due to washedo out lube, brake pedal pivot wear, all electric motors dieng early.
Not good
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
ajt3nc
Cetane Booster

Post by ajt3nc »

The next step in this scam is to tell you to place the funds in an escrow account, which is a bs web sight.
Tell them you want to use your personal attorneys sight and watch.
86 n/a jetta , 89 td 1.6, 05 passat 2.0 tdi 07 wrx,
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

i'm quitting vw after 21 years partly because of 2006 jettas[no 2005's in canada]
1971 super beetle

1990 t3 transporter 1.9na
steve
Turbo Charger

Post by steve »

what's up with the 2006 that's a problem?
1984 VW Quantum 1.6 TD 470,000 miles
2003 Jetta TDI 95K
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

well i really don't want to get into a big debate or argument about this, but since i've been at vw through 5 generations of models i can tell you what my impressions are. It seems since the a4 models came out what i call the corporate build mentality has completely changed. They seem to have adapted a more global/american/world ideology in how they see and build them. That is to say where before the cars were small to medium, fun, relatively cheap, they are now large expensive slabs full of technology that the marketing gurus brainwash the public into thinking they need. A 2004 base touareg had 17 modules and processors. It really started with the corrado. If they imported they without all the options and had a more stripper version like no power windows, ac and geared them lower i can guarantee they would have sold twice as many in north america. BUT NO,
marketing wanted a high end sports car at a high price. Elitist f***ers.
The new models again are overloaded with technology that is 4 years too soon because vw cannot train people fast enough,and god help you when you have a real technical problem.TOO MANY PROCESSORS AND CRAP WE DON'T NEED!!! Friedrich Peich wanted to go out with a bang[Phaeton anyone? an amazing car but $100,000 for a vw?] Have you soon how much of a boat the new Jetta"s are? and ugly! and soulless! I really could go on and on but i really feel that staying at vw would be like going down with a very large sinking ship.
1971 super beetle

bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Well caveman, I felt the same way when the 2005.5 (2006) came out and thought it was going the wrong way(bigger, more electronic crap). I wanted a small replacement for my Rabbit but there's no Lupo's sold here. I liked the 1999 Jetta style and they ran great and handled well, but I could not afford one until late 2005 when the new style was all that was available. I have to say this has been an amazing car and I'm glad I bought it. The rear seat room has worked out well since my handicapped son is with us forever, this gives him lots of leg room. The car hasn't hit less than 42MPG and averages 43 in city/highway, 47 max so far. Last week I drove it 500+ miles highway over steep mountains with 2 passengers and got 43.5 mpg and I wans't babying it. The car handles great.

As for reliability and maintainability, we'll see how that goes. I plan to maintain it to no less than factory schedules, and I usually keep my cars 15-30 years (I'll be pretty damn old by then!), and if I'm still on this forum by then, I'll let you know how I make out. So far it beats fixing the Rabbit every week, even though I still love working on them for fun and driving one I don't have to mess with.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

i never did say that they won't be reliable, however until vw and all the service departments get a handle on what causes and how to correct the problems they'll have when they fail, then good luck when something does f..k up. Anthing elecrical is probably the vehicule electronic control electrical module etc,etc. The problem i have is that i didn't want to go through another 3-4 years of hours of troubleshooting teething problems when vw should have done their homework before releasing the model.
hopefully you won't need it but good luck and let us know if you do or don't have trouble
1971 super beetle