TDI advertising question......been wondering for a long time

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

vwgasm
Cetane Booster

TDI advertising question......been wondering for a long time

Post by vwgasm »

Why do I hardly ever see a VW advertisement promoting the TDI? One would think with the gas prices so high that they could sell a TON of these things now. I realize that for many people diesels have a bad reputation, but they could eliminate a bunch of those misconceptions also.

Case in point. I have a good friend who was literally a day away from buying a hybrid. I told him about the TDI and he had never even heard of it before. A week later he's driving a Golf TDI.

Is there something I'm missing here?
Piper106
Cetane Booster

Post by Piper106 »

Don't have to advertise the TDIs.

Emission regs limit the number of TDIs that can be sold in a year, and VW sells there entire allotment at sticker price, if not more.

Advertising is to get people to buy what you couldn't otherwise sell.

Piper106
vwgasm
Cetane Booster

Post by vwgasm »

Ahhhh I see.........Us govt. emission regs?

I realize that diesels are considered "dirty" by many. So from a fuel consumption standpoint TDI's are very efficient but from an emissions standpoint it is the opposite?

Anybody have the pollution stats of a TDI vs. a regular gas engine?
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

I saw them somewhere, can't remember the site but it listed all cars. The TDIs were showing as way dirtier than the gas equivalent but I question the rating. I have heard that TDIs put out less of many types of emissions than their diesel couterparts, but particulates are higher. I would Google for emissions ratings of passenger cars or something similar, you should be able to find something.

I have to believe I am putting out less emissions with my 06 TDI than with my '92 F150, if nothing else by getting 45 mpg vs 15 mpg.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe