Ref TDI Power Problem Weird

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

alamance199
Glow Plug

Ref TDI Power Problem Weird

Post by alamance199 »

I Have A 2001 1.9 Turbo 169,000 It has recently Started losing power and it will not go over 2500 rpm one tech says it's the maf sensor other tech says its the injection pump. If it starts to run bad if u cut off ignition switch going down road and start it back it will run like it should does anyone have advice for me. also any leads on a injection pump source. thanks henry :shock: i have cleaned the intake
Last edited by alamance199 on Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
coke

Post by coke »

Has the intake been degunked recently, or at all for the life of the vehicle?
alamance199
Glow Plug

ref reply

Post by alamance199 »

yes the intake has been cleaned thats why i believe its electrical because u cut switch off and turn and on and it runs fine thanks for reply
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

if your MIL light isn't on and assuming the motor has good compression and there doesn't seem to have any other issues, it's probably the MAF sensor. But I've also seen turbo's be shot and not light the MIL. The easy thing to try first is get under the car and see if the wastegate lever moves[about 3/4 to 1 inch]The next easy thing to try is the MAF. in my experience 99% time it's one or both of those two things
1971 super beetle

1990 t3 transporter 1.9na
mycoleptodiscus
Glow Plug

Problem

Post by mycoleptodiscus »

I have the exact same problem. 2X over. I used the non-diesel MAF last year and it fixed the problem right away. I'm now having the same problem now, replaced the MAF and it's still acting up :( I'd replace the MAF. Last year I didn't have a MIL or any codes. Last year I cleaned out the intake as well.
1985 Volvo 740 Turbodiesel Wagon (SoDak)
269,000 miles

2000 VW Bora TDI (Boris)
114,000 miles

1978 VW Bus (Johann Wolfgang von Bus)
103,000 miles
digitol
Glow Plug

Post by digitol »

I had something similar happen, my sympoms were if I punched on the accel, it would lose power and not hardly go at all. I would lose like 50 or more percent of my power! Turning the car off oand on again resolved it short-term. Turns out the car was activating "limp mode" Protecting the turbo because supposedly my turbo's waste-gate is stuck. Now I need a new turbo. Hope that's not the issue with yours. Major $$$$$ :(
canman
Cetane Booster

Post by canman »

hah stupid vnt!!! ... nm yes I have seen several vehicles with seized vnt actuators this can be replaced on it's own ...(not at vw) and it's a little tricky (a bit of trial and error getting it adjusted.) but the vanes themselves can also become stuck.

vnt eat my shorts. i'm a wastegate man... nm
vegitarian 1991 passat 1.6 td
cold little 91 golf "no vegies in winter"