leftover '06 or wait for the '08's

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

brad
Cetane Booster

leftover '06 or wait for the '08's

Post by brad »

Been thinking about when I'm going to replace my 89 Jetta with
something new. I'm finding less and less time to keep up on repairs, so
if you were to pull the trigger as early as next yr, would you go for
the '06 or would you wait for the '08's. Is the motor going to be significantly different? Avail. in other models, ie. Golf, Rabbit?

thanks
89 NA Jetta (260,000)
rebuilt/reringed at 225,000
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

I am wondering the exact same thing, I am going to wait as the new engine will be built for the new fuel- but articals i have read do state a $2000 added cost.
I reallly want a Lupo, 80MPG is amazing!
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
Asymtave
Diesel Freak

Post by Asymtave »

I would personally wait for the '08's. As a matter of fact I am waiting. Several reasons:

1) VW quality is dismal right now. This is based on industry quality surveys and from the experience of several acquiantences.

2) The new motors will be an all new design. Of course this is an unknown - they could be better or worse for maintenance, durability, etc.

3) The Pumpe Duse fuel system that they went to in 03 or 04 does not have the best reputation. Others may disagree. People have experienced reduced mileage over the old Bosch VE motors, and parts are really expensive (like $1,000 injectors.) Once again, the new motors may be better/worse.

Another reason to wait - Honda has announced that they are bringing diesels to the US market in the same time frame. As much as I like the VW's, you have to believe that the Hondas will be absolutely bulletproof. Again - others might disagree. Just my .02.

Eric

P.S. Yes - will be avail in the Rabbit.
81 Pickup
91 Eco Jetta
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

Asymtave,
I agree with you 100%, I hope we dont get flammed for what we think but as for the quality statment, My friends 2006 TDI has already gone back to the shop 3 times! Window fell out, mirror stopped working and a squeeking disk brake.
Honda does make awesome enginges, in my mind almsot the worlds best- My 2002 civic just turned 100k miles, not even due for plugs yet!
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
Turbo Caddy
Glow Plug

Post by Turbo Caddy »

I jus got the new 4-wheel off-road and it has a VW small suv concept, they talk about the new diesel also, they say its a 2.0L and is built by VW and the people who make the new jeep diesel. They dont give a power output but I would guess prolly around 120hp now that the base gas motor is 150.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Well, if I didn't already have an '06, I'd probably wait for the '08, but I have to say I'm very pleased with this car. It's 13 months old, around 14K miles on it and runs perfectly. Did a trip a few weeks ago to Philadelphia and back in the same day, averaged 80 MPH and 42 MPG. It drives flawlessly at 85-90 and is very comfortable. Nothing has fallen off, only a few minor buzzes at low rpms and I'm not sure that's not stuff in the door pockets (my wife likes to stash things there).

On the other hand, if it starts giving me trouble, I have a few Rabbits to go back to, one that will become a TD in the next few months. But the plan is to keep it for 15-20 years if it holds up and doesn't bleed me dry on repairs, so wish me luck.

The new technology sounds great but I'll wait and let someone else be the guinea pig on this one.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe