1.9L TDI information request

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

coke

1.9L TDI information request

Post by coke »

Anyone who has any information on the 1.9L TDI engine w/ intercooler (mechanical, none of that electrical crap. I hate electronics) coversions.. info can be emailed to coke@winds.org.

Looking into swaps to the older cars, but ... the electronics is just too much. Simple mechanical injection pump (turbo pump, of course:)) or if you know anyone with information that'd be great.

Post by Guest »

Hello fellow TDI'ers. I happen to be interested in the same. I also hear there's a 1.8 model made?, and it's injection pump being compatible w/the 1.9 electronic version, no strings (electrical connections) attachments needed? Help or insight from anyone!
electrycmonk
Glow Plug

Re: 1.9L TDI information request

Post by electrycmonk »

coke wrote:Anyone who has any information on the 1.9L TDI engine w/ intercooler (mechanical, none of that electrical crap. I hate electronics) coversions.. info can be emailed to coke@winds.org.

Looking into swaps to the older cars, but ... the electronics is just too much. Simple mechanical injection pump (turbo pump, of course:)) or if you know anyone with information that'd be great.
Soooo, Coke, any luck from this post some 12+ months ago? :)

did you achieve the desired outcome? I'm new to this board...but, not to forums....

I'm a long standing member of usmb.net and have a burning desire to convert to diesel and not stop there but, to convert it to a multi-fuel beast.

I'm thinking the TDI 1.9L would be a nice parallel swap from my 1.8L H-4 turbo wagon's powerplant.

any thoughts, thread suggestions, amussing stories, or sage advice?
a haiku for sig
may not do this realm justice
but it works for now
veggy ben
Glow Plug

Post by veggy ben »

Ok, its been awhile since I have been around here but I thought that I would give you all a heads up on sombody that took a rabbit and put a tdi, ALH engine code I think in the older body. Its a long read with a lot of info, but if you love diesels, you better set aside a good 20 minutes, because you will want to read the whole thing!

Benjamin
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=778864
Piper106
Cetane Booster

Post by Piper106 »

You really need to use the link in veggy ben's post to Mr.Dave's thread where he installed a TDI in a Rabbit pickup. Great series of threads. My take away was that the mechanical part was easy, it was the wiring for the TDI electronic controlled pump, the ECU, the immolibilizer, and the instrument cluster was the banging head against wall, tearing hair out part. There are something like 80 wires that have to be connected for the factory control scheme to work.

Coke you might want to go over to vwdiesel.net and look around their TDI section. There is a number of threads on conversion to mechanical controlled pumps, and the control wiring is down to connecting the one wire for the engine stop solenoid on the pump.

Reader's digest version. The mechanical control pumps from the earlier 1.6L and 1.9L IDI turbo diesels can be swapped onto the TDI engines in place of the electronic pump. At that point there is some disagreement over at vwdiesel.net Some posters say the those pumps with the various screws properly set will push the fuel needed for the TDI, others say you have to open the pump up, and swap in the camplate and the 10 or 11 mm plunger from a TDI pump to get the proper fuel delivery. Then there is the whole pump drive shaft issue. Some folks say that the 17 mm driveshaft in the earlier pumps (like the 1.6L TD) is OK, others say you want to start with the later pumps that have the same 20 mm driveshaft as the factory TDI pumps. The issue is how long the smaller drive shaft can handle the pounding of pushing the 900 bar TDI injection pressure before the drive shaft breaks from fatigue. Read the threads and make your own decision.

On this side of the Atlantic, the pump from the 1.9L IDI turbo diesel, engine code AAZ sold from 92 to 97 in Canada (never sold new in the US) is said to have the 20 mm drive shaft and in my mind is the best starting point for a mechanical TDI. A pump from a 4BT Cummins installed in delivery vans is another source of a mechanical pump. On the other side of the Atlantic there are at least a couple mechanical pumps available off of Peugeots and other such cars we never see on this side of the ocean.

That is all I think I know.

Piper106