Turbo works after long haul trips?

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

wooddashman.com
Glow Plug

Turbo works after long haul trips?

Post by wooddashman.com »

I have been have sporadic turbo boost issues. After a trip of 150 miles plus the turbo will once again work fine for about 5 days. Than will once again die until the next long haul. Any ideas as to what may be causing this issue? :?

I dropped the turbo last week finally, only to learn that this version does not have the VNT, but rather a wastegate system. Took on a long drive Thursday evening. Have virtually no boost at all now. Top speed about 70 mph. returned saturday on the same 200 mile trip and had a top speed of about 78 mph with a little more power and possibly some boost. Still hear a relay click out and stop the turbo assistance. Any ideas as to what to do now. I did notice that the turbine on the exhaust side was complety free wheeling, wheras the intake side had a litle more resistance to it. But no sign of bearing issues.
Last edited by wooddashman.com on Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diesel_Rabbit
Diesel Freak

turbo

Post by Diesel_Rabbit »

Do you get an engine code when it happens? Does turbo kick out when engine gets to a particular RPM?

A couple simple items include cleaning your MAF sensor with MAF or electric contact cleaner. cleaning out air intake and snow screen. changing your oil and filter
wooddashman.com
Glow Plug

Re: turbo

[quote="Diesel_Rabbit"]Do you get an engine code when it happens? Does turbo kick out when engine gets to a particular RPM?

A couple simple items include cleaning your MAF sensor with MAF or electric contact cleaner. cleaning out air intake and snow screen. changing your oil and filter[/quote]

No, it is starnge in that when I run the vehicle on a long trip, the turbo begins to work again. After returning home and doing some city driving, the turbo will no longer function. Usually it seems like the boost is there in 1st gear, but then I will hear a small click and the boost will disappear. Occasionally I will get partial boost it seems. As for the codes, I really do not know. I dont have the ability to hook up to a machine.
MayorDJQ
Diesel Freak

Post by MayorDJQ »

Sounds like the VNT actuator rod is sticking.
wooddashman.com
Glow Plug

[quote="MayorDJQ"]Sounds like the VNT actuator rod is sticking.[/quote]

Can anyone clarify what the VNT Actuator is and where I would find it?
MayorDJQ
Diesel Freak

Post by MayorDJQ »

It's easier to find from underneath. With the car on a lift or ramps, remove the lower skid pan. Find the exhaust manifold. You should see a canister looking thing toward the passenger side of the manifold. On top of it is the actuator rod. You can't really see the rod, but reach up and you should be able to feel it. It takes some effort, but you should be able to move the rod in and out of the canister. Once you figure out where it is, you should be able to locate it from under the go. Go to the passenger side, and reach under the EGR valve. Try pushing the actuator into the canister a few times. If you can get a can of WD40 or penetrating oil in there, give it a good spray.
wooddashman.com
Glow Plug

[quote="MayorDJQ"]It's easier to find from underneath. With the car on a lift or ramps, remove the lower skid pan. Find the exhaust manifold. You should see a canister looking thing toward the passenger side of the manifold. On top of it is the actuator rod. You can't really see the rod, but reach up and you should be able to feel it. It takes some effort, but you should be able to move the rod in and out of the canister. Once you figure out where it is, you should be able to locate it from under the go. Go to the passenger side, and reach under the EGR valve. Try pushing the actuator into the canister a few times. If you can get a can of WD40 or penetrating oil in there, give it a good spray.[/quote]

I will try that early next week and let you know how it works!!
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

When your computer notices a problem it "failsafes" to no boost. Your turbo is probably sticking at high boost and the computer sees it and goes to failsafe. You probably have an overboost code that clears itself on long drive then after working awile reoccurs and then failsafe.

See the following thread.

Watch the video at the end. That is how your actuator rod should move. If its stuck then do the work in the thread.

If your car has VNT turbo then click here.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php? ... ostcount=1
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>