Glow plug light blinks while driving

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

onetimeonly

Glow plug light blinks while driving

Post by onetimeonly »

Hello,

I have a 2000 Jetta TDI. I have not had any problems with this car.

The last week I noticed something different.

The glow plug light comes on when starting the car and quickly goes off. The glow plug light stays off for about 60-90 seconds after starting the car. After about 60-90 seconds the glow plug light comes one and stays on until the car is turned off. Note the glow plug light blinks on and off until the car is turned off.

Does anyone know what this means. The manual did not have much information.

Thanks,

Alan

glow light flashes

Post by guest »

read somewhere that a light bulb could be burned out, no kidding. check all your outside lightbulbs, brake lights,ect. don't know if code needs to be cleared afterward. good luck.
VW fan

RE:Glow plow plug light blinking

Post by VW fan »

I had the same problem a few months ago. The dealership charged me $90 (US) to diagnose the problem and replace a burned out brake light. Quite an expensive brake light, I think. I am not happy with this car so far. It has had too many expensive, electrical problems. This is the LAST time I will ever buy a car not knowing where it was manufactured (this one was in Mexico- 2001 Jetta TDI GLS). I hope you can replace your own lights without needing to pay for a "diagnostic fee". I think computers are a great tool/toy, but, as my dad always said, they don't belong in cars!!
emmamutt@aol.com

blinking glow plug light

Post by emmamutt@aol.com »

had this happen twice in my 2000 jetta tdi. dealer replaced the stop light once under warranty and i replaced it myself once. 8or 9 bucks but you have to check for number of pins on the connecter (either 3 or 4 pins). switch is located under dash against brake pedal arm. hope this helps.

Re: Glow plug light blinks while driving

Post by Guest »

onetimeonly wrote:Hello,

The last week I noticed something different.

The glow plug light comes on when starting the car and quickly goes off. The glow plug light stays off for about 60-90 seconds after starting the car. After about 60-90 seconds the glow plug light comes one and stays on until the car is turned off. Note the glow plug light blinks on and off until the car is turned off.

Thanks,

Alan
ed

glow plug problem solution

Post by ed »

i had the same problem with my jetta. 1989 turbo. mine has a water seoerator under the car in front of the right rear wheel. you can loosen the drain cap until the fuel starta to drain, and let it drain off the water, usually a small cup full. this is a auggested practice as part of your regular maint. your glow plug light is your indicator that their is condensation in your fuel.your manual should have this listed, mine does, look under water seperator. by the way i am a first time jetta owner and i love it. ED

Re: Glow plug light blinks while driving

Post by guest »

Anonymous wrote:
onetimeonly wrote:Hello,

<snip>

... the glow plug light blinks on and off until the car is turned off.

Thanks,

Alan
I had the same issue with my 2001 Golf. I replaced the rear brake light, which was burned out, and the the coil light stopped blinking.