leaking fuel line at tank

Moderator: Fatmobile

JayBee
Glow Plug

leaking fuel line at tank

Post by JayBee »

Minor leak at the small flex line going back into fuel tank, any suggestions on replacing it with minimal issues? All other lines are good, this one just looks old and tired.

82 GL 1.6
rsxsr

Re: leaking fuel line at tank

Post by rsxsr »

Run the tank as low as possible. If you can jack the left side of the van, even better. This will let the fuel lay on the r/s of the tank. Cut your hose in advance to size. Wrap a rag around each wrist to keep fuel from running down your arm pits. Work quickly to replace the hose. A drain pan to catch any fuel lost and jack stands to catch the van if the jack fails and you should be good to go.
JayBee
Glow Plug

Post by JayBee »

Thats some good common sense advice, I already thought of running fuel as low as possible, but didn't think of the incline. I have a spot in the yard that I'll be able to use for that so i won't need to jack it.
This van is stock, so what would be the size for that line?
So, no need to worry about air intrusion?
Thanks much
rsxsr

Post by rsxsr »

I am 99% sure the fuel line ID is 8mm. 5/16 ths fuel line is really the same dimensions. You will want a hose that is compatible with diesel fuel and at least B5 diesel. If you intend to run B100 or vegetable oil, you might want to browse the Greaseworks website.
JayBee
Glow Plug

Post by JayBee »

Thanks Diesel Freak, hope you don't mind me going the easy route and pickin' your brain on that one. At this point, i'm going to drive the fuel down, getting the right size line ready and slide er on.
I've only had this vehicle about 5 months and still learning, only other diesel was an MB '83. Only thing i miss is the power.
WVO is an interest. Any thoughts on that?
rsxsr

Post by rsxsr »

I have no experience running home brew bio fuel or grease. To me as long as I have a job and diesel is still readily available, I will continue to use pump fuel. If I were to choose, I would go the route of home brew bio fuel over waste vegetable oil.