vanagon diesel dip stick help

Moderator: Fatmobile

hihorn

vanagon diesel dip stick help

Post by hihorn »

I had someone steal my dipstick from my diesel vanagon. I found a close match at a junkyard. Can someone who has a real one measure from the top plastic piece down to the top oil level mark and then to the bottom oil level mark so I can mark this new one correctly?
vwtopia
Cetane Booster

Post by vwtopia »

Did you ever get your dipstick measurements?
juci

dip stick oil level measurement

Post by juci »

Hi,
Awful situation! You may want to try an oil change, complete w/oil filter. I think it's safe to presume the readiing you get after the oil change is completed will be the mark you want to have on your new dipstick. Hope this helps!
hihorn

dipstick readings

Post by hihorn »

No, still no measurements. At this point I am going to replace the motor son anyway....
vwtopia
Cetane Booster

Post by vwtopia »

Even if you change it out with another VW engine you'll still need to use the oil pan, oil pump, and oil tube. I'll get you the measurements off mine if you still want them.
vanmike
Glow Plug

dipstick

Post by vanmike »

I measured the length of the dipstick in my 82 van
length overall from collar (rests on top of filler cap)
= 380 mm
full mark = 325 mm
low mark = 340 mm
hope this helps
hihorn

dip stick measurements

Post by hihorn »

Thanks VERY much for the measurements. Now I can keep a better ryr on the oil consumption! I am amazed that this little 1.5L in this big ol' Vanagon has lasted and performed as well as it has. I am saving pennies for a 1.6TD (w/intercooler and accusump oil pressurizer).
hihorn

dip stick measurements...UPDATE!

Post by hihorn »

Hi just a note to say, I bought a new diesel vanagon dip stick and someone just stole that one.....I now sport a big bolt right through the cap until I rig a solenoid to the rear cover.
srivett
Turbo Charger

Post by srivett »

Maybe you could park the van up against something so the back door can't be opened? If not I'd think about getting a cheap motion sensing webcam to record whatever is going on out there at night.

That's pretty sad. :cry:

Steve
1992 4-door Golf 1.6l
Currently 418K and climbing :)
hihorn

Stolen Dip Sticks...

Post by hihorn »

I got lucky. A dipstick with tube and flange showed up on Ebay today, so I snagged it. Meanwhile, last night I devised a solenoid/pin latch for the license plate door. I also took the old cap and put a bolt through the dipstick hole. I will keep the new cap and dipstick somewhere safe and leave the sealed cap on the engine, until I need to check oil level, then seitch them out. A lot of crap to go through, but this has become a bigger headache.
reg
Glow Plug

Post by reg »

Hihorn will you sell me your tube?
email bflinn (at) ns.sympatico.ca
universal traveler
Glow Plug

Re: vanagon diesel dip stick help

Post by universal traveler »

i am looking for '82 vanagon diesel dip stick for replacement. anyone know where to get it or the way modified to close the cap screw? dip stick with screw cap is missing. please let me know the clue. thanks
motomike33y
Glow Plug

Re: vanagon diesel dip stick help

Post by motomike33y »

I may have the whole assembly. what do you want? how much is it worth? pm me