A Couple of Questions

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

nate_o
Cetane Booster

A Couple of Questions

Post by nate_o »

Have a couple of questions on my 91 Jetta 1.6 TD. I am having some starting problems. When its cold out it cranks slow and the bendix kicks out and grinds. I already pulled and cleaned all + and - cable connections. After looking through other posts I am thinking it might be the starter bushing. I tried searching for a bushing on (competitor's name removed by moderator,.. such power is hard to contain) but they didnt have any for my year vw but they did list starter bushings for an 81 vw. Did 91s not use a bushing or would the 81 bushing fit my 91?

Also what parts do I need to convert my water pump to ac to alt belt set up to just water pump to alt belt set up and delete the ac?

Thanks!
91 VW Jetta 1.6L Turbo
colby
Site Administrator

Re: A Couple of Questions

Post by colby »

The 91 uses a gear reduction starter, the 81 uses a direct drive, so I don't thinky ou could swap the bushings. However, you can swap out the gear reduction unit for the direct drive unit. I did that. Maybe a local shop could rebuild your starter? We have one around here who typically does it for around $50 or so, which is a lot less than replacing it with an aftermarket/rebuilt unit from an auto parts store.
sgnimj96
Turbo Charger

Re: A Couple of Questions

Post by sgnimj96 »

(competitor's name removed by moderator)

I got the cheap starter solenoid from (that guy) and fixed my 1.6D starter (so cheap I bought 2 to have a spare). Regular part store jack the price to make you buy a whole starter, but Solenoids are the usual culprit in starter failure - maybe not in your specific case but worth a look. The magnetic piston sticking and the contacts inside getting bad are the most common causes of problems. Sometimes just disassembling the solenoid and cleaning the piston it does the trick. If the solenoid mounting screws strip out just drill the head and get new screws from the local hardware store.
(competitor's name removed by moderator,... this information needs to be PM'd)

A/c delete, This one is on the first page of the website - surprised you missed that. It's kinda long and drawn out, but all the info is there.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12828
If you do it, plan on replacing your water pump and grind the bracket off the car. It's easy enough to check the bracket to the alternator off the car.
81' Scirocco 1.6D (conversion)
86 Golf 1.6D
85' 300TD