Brake Master Cylinder

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

diesel freak
Diesel Freak

Brake Master Cylinder

Post by diesel freak »

Looking to replace my brake master cylinder, it has a slight leak from one of the rear brake line attachment at the main cylinder. Noticed lots of different manufacturers. Prices range from $35 to $200, nothing special no ABS, just a 1986 1.6 Diesel. I was told not to buy a remanufactured but that is probably all that is out there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Trumper
Glow Plug

Re: Brake Master Cylinder

Post by Trumper »

Personally, I have done very well with Oreilly auto parts rebuilds in my Mk. II's. I have never had one go "bad" or be "bad" out of the box. I probably have 4 cars with them on as well speak. They give life-time warranty. Keep your receipt.

Understand that I swap brake fluid every two years on everything. I practice preventive maintenance and it works.

Everybody always has "stories" to tell and that is mine.

I used one of the receipts to put one in my friend's car when he was visiting as well That was three years ago and he is doing fine. I also do very well with their starters on the Mk. II's....never had a problem.
sgnimj96
Turbo Charger

Post by sgnimj96 »

diesel freak wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:13 am Looking to replace my brake master cylinder, it has a slight leak from one of the rear brake line attachment at the main cylinder. Noticed lots of different manufacturers. Prices range from $35 to $200, nothing special no ABS, just a 1986 1.6 Diesel. I was told not to buy a remanufactured but that is probably all that is out there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Just wondering, have you tried tightening the the nut to stop the leak?
81' Scirocco 1.6D (conversion)
86 Golf 1.6D
85' 300TD
diesel freak
Diesel Freak

Post by diesel freak »

Tried tightening the flange nut but am afraid of stripping the head with too much force. Anyone know what the torque setting would be on a brake line flare nut? Will check O'Reileys out and see what they are offering.
diesel freak
Diesel Freak

Post by diesel freak »

Does it matter what bore I buy. I noticed some have a 20 inch bore while others have a 13/16 inch bore?
sgnimj96
Turbo Charger

Post by sgnimj96 »

yea, you gotta have a line or crowsfoot wrench to mess those brake fittings.

Worse case for me (if they're already stripping) is to get a good pair of vice grips - cut a small notch in the teeth so it grabs like a wrench.
81' Scirocco 1.6D (conversion)
86 Golf 1.6D
85' 300TD
diesel freak
Diesel Freak

Post by diesel freak »

bought a TRW New for 20 dollars shipped. Googled TRW and they were in the space race in there beginnings. hope it all works out.