New paint on 82

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

bscutt
Turbo Charger

New paint on 82

Post by bscutt »

Fair job but not great. Apparently chunks of dirt in the paint is what they consider acceptable. Nationwide chain whose sale adds are 30% of true costs

Hope this link will stay up for a few days.

Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
sgnimj96
Turbo Charger

Re: New paint on 82

Post by sgnimj96 »

Time will tell. I just painted my mk1 with tractor paint and the prep looked fine but after it's got a shiney layer of paint on ALL the imperfections show up. Painting a car and making it look perfect takes a lot of extra steps. The most important thing IMO is keeping the rust off. Good Job going the distance.
Might want to ditch photobucket if you want pictures to be seen. Imgur works (for now)
81' Scirocco 1.6D (conversion)
86 Golf 1.6D
85' 300TD
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Yep photobucket already blocked it. Tried to get imgur to work and apparently didn't get the instructions right. Will try again later. Yep I knew going in that the body needed work but my body work skills are lacking and getting it right is more physical strain than I can do these days, not to mention having little to no free time. I'm just glad it's all one color since the original paint was buffed through to primer in spots, the passenger rear door and hood were replacements and spray-canned, and getting a shine for more that 24 hours was not happening. So the little dings show up in spots but I'll take that at this point. Once I get them to wet sand the dust chunks and buff it out I'll be happier with it.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

pic from Imgur - still can't get it right. Link works but haven't figured out how to get it to display normally
https://imgur.com/a/0R55g
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA