Electrical Drain Mystery

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

StevenPH
Diesel Freak

Re: Electrical Drain Mystery

Post by StevenPH »

Sorry for response delay - i thought i had sent this out, but must not have confirmed the submission...

The W terminal was connected to the red wire like usual. I tested the continuity between that and the connector plug and that wire is good.

The fan was running during my readings - so my numbers include that draw unfortunately.

I'm thinking i should try to install a voltmeter in my cab, even if temporarily, to keep an eye on it during normal driving.

FYI in the pic the yellow is my jumper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'89 Jetta 1.6d
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

A dash-mounted voltmeter is a great idea.
Mine has saved me several times.
I don't think your readings are that far off normal.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
greg lousy
Turbo Charger

Post by greg lousy »

I agree that all your numbers are in the realm of basically charging ok. Bad exciter wire sounds pretty much established .... makes sense and is a common fail. Still think there's a good chance you were hitting enough rpms to get charging on some drives but not others... and long drives (or average drives at night) would be the only ones drawing enough to kill battery.
Once it kicks on with the rev, it will should remain charging whenever for the rest of drive.... Idling, whenever.

The questionable connection is a plastic one right under battery. Only connection between dash and alt. I think. I think there's s few wires in that terrible spot.
Of course, Any intermittent short to ground in vehicle could explain these symptoms too
Various vehicles in various states